Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 29th September 2012, 04:52 PM

Default Trainee Osteopath looking for advice

Hi Im a final year Irish student studying Osteopathy in London. I am seeing an ever increasing number of patients with functional and structural scoliosis coming into our clinic each week. However I feel our treatment and advise isnt very strong. Basically we are told to stretch the short side and de rotate the other side, I follow this up with stretches as seen in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWtrCmzaOw

However Im sure there are lots of people here who could advise me on other or even better ways to improve a structural scoliosis be it exercises given or techniques performed on you by therapists.

I have heard the Schroth Method of Management of Scoliosis is very good but cannot combine my own study with the time it takes to complete that course, so any info on it is greatly welcomes.

Thanks for any help on this and I'll let you know how I get on !
Old 29th September 2012, 06:06 PM
OrangeL

Default Re: Trainee Osteopathy looking for advise

Sorry,this doesnt seem like it will be much help but iv always found the method of stretch the short side and help rotation to relief some pain for a while.massaging the tight muscles and being given exercises to strengthen your back and stomach muscles help to some extent although iv always found surgery to be the most successful
LGI Leeds.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:20 AM
BlueL

Hi Stephen,

My daughter is just turned 16 & was diagnosed with scoliosis 8 months ago. It's unclear whether she has two structural curves or one structural & one functional. Her lumbar curve is the larger of the two & proving to be the more stubborn, so it's likely that this is structural, whilst the thoracic curve is functional. As she is below the surgical threshold but above the progression threshold, we have decided to hit the curves hard with exercise. We've been seeing a physiotherapist weekly since diagnosis & Danni exercises twice daily. We are also about to start teaching her active self corrections to use throughout the day. Our physio has tailored a programme for her which stitches together the ideas of Schroth & Min Mehta plus Pilates style exercises too. He also uses a lot of massage & a small amount of spinal mobilisation. He's done his own version of Kinesio taping on her too, for proprioceptive training. We chose to have her treated by a physiotherapist, simply because that is what we are familiar with. I'm sure that what you do as an osteopath has a lot of similarities.

The single most important leap in thinking is to recognise the three dimensional nature of scoliosis, so it's great that you are told to derotate.

I am very happy to talk to you some more about our experiences as I feel very strongly that the UK's "watch & wait" approach to scoliosis in kids like Danni is detrimental. A lot of problems in adulthood could be avoided if there was a pro-active approach to scoliosis in childhood. Not needing surgery does not equate with not needing treatment. Feel free to PM me if you would like to.

Last edited by DannisMum; 30th September 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Typo!
Old 30th September 2012, 04:51 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi there, just to let you know that I have removed the duplicate threads and consolidated the answers into this one, as things were getting confusing and we don't allow duplicate threads in different forums. Hope this helps
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
Hi there, just to let you know that I have removed the duplicate threads and consolidated the answers into this one, as things were getting confusing and we don't allow duplicate threads in different forums. Hope this helps

thanks toni