Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
Wow Mark, you've come such a long way
Went a long way too Gilly lol

Mark's a groovin an a movin
Old 25th March 2010, 10:22 AM
Tattoed, Crafty & Twisted

Default Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Hi,
I had my first surgery aged 15 with a harrington rod, fused T2-L1/2 (not sure), no-one else has mentioned this so.....I gave birth to two children when I was 22 and the 24 years old, so post-surgery, didn't need any extra help ie cesarean (sp?), also have made a bit of a career out of Roller-coasters over the years.
Had a 2nd surgery in 2006, still fused the same, 2 rods now plus screws etc am now 34 years old, I still go on Rollercoasters, ariel slides and other playground stuff with my kids, can cycle (but am lazy cos I have a car lol), can run ifI have to lol can do all aspects of housework, swim - but better on my back post-surgery, not really any different
Old 25th March 2010, 12:07 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Hey, not heard from you for aaaaages, great to hear how well you're doing
Old 6th April 2010, 12:15 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Keep them coming everyone, let us know what you've been doing since your spinal op I know people get really worried that their life will be very limited if they have the surgery, so let's reassure them!
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 6th April 2010, 04:04 PM
Adult

Wink Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Walking (especially hillwalking, have 'bagged' a few Munros and Corbetts), cycling (and motorcycling in my yournger days), dancing, had 2 children - neither by caesarian - 28 and 25 this year, gardening, DIY, housework (when I can be bothered). Driving - my #1 son and I drove to the Czech Republic and back 2 years ago.

I am 54 and this is my 40th year post fusion - the only thing I find it difficult to do is ironing - this has probably nothing at all to do with the fusion!! Also recently had to give up wearing killer heels. Never been much into sport since school - again, I don't think that's a scoliosis related problem!

B
Old 7th April 2010, 04:43 AM
Mod with a rod (or two)

I have started taking Bruno out again, Bruno's a nuts one year old flat coated retriever who pulls like mad until you let him of his lead

I' have only been out of the hospital 3 and half months following my surgery for scheuermanns kyphosis

The dogs mental and his dads not far behind him lol

Old 8th April 2010, 06:14 PM

Hi All,
I am a newbie to this forum, I am 17 years post op, Spinal fusion in 1993, similar to above I don't limit myself because of the op... I love the gym, running, cycling, playing tag rugby.. I do pilates once a week which is great for the back. I have a fusion on my upper back and not in my lumbar area so can do most moves but do find it difficult to do sit ups. but I wouldn't let it stop me doing anything.. bunjee jumping was the only activity i was advised not to do!

Does anyone suffer post op pain many years on? I find my back acts up when the seasons change!! that is mainly the only time though..
Old 8th April 2010, 06:34 PM
Be happy and... Smile!

When I'm not in tooooo much pain pain I can dance lightly and actually have fun, for instance I was in a sari at my cousins wedding in the US dancing along to some Indian songs and it was so much fun as I had dosed myself up good and proper! lol... xx p.s. I'm fused T11-L3
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary..." - Steve Jobs
Old 27th April 2010, 02:09 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

I've been given permission to post this here, it was posted by a lady on Facebook

It's a video of her 13 year old daughter dancing four months after her spinal fusion. She's brilliant!

Dance performance, 4 months post-op
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:19 AM
BlueL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
I've been given permission to post this here, it was posted by a lady on Facebook

It's a video of her 13 year old daughter dancing four months after her spinal fusion. She's brilliant!

Dance performance, 4 months post-op
Wow how amazing.
Old 28th April 2010, 04:48 PM
Worried Mom

That is an amazing video and an amazing young lady! Toni, if you can somehow thank her Mum for posting that, and let her know how much it helps anyone who is facing surgery for themselves or their child. Again just amazing. Thanks for posting this Toni.
Old 28th April 2010, 05:16 PM
BlueL

Jono walked a mountain last week and this week I've started doing the couch to 5k and he's decided to join me.....I hope he's OK to do that.
Old 28th April 2010, 06:18 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Oh my, what a beautiful dancer Please thank her mum for allowing us to see this Toni, she truly is an inspiration
Old 28th April 2010, 08:02 PM
RedL

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumlady View Post
Jono walked a mountain last week and this week I've started doing the couch to 5k and he's decided to join me.....I hope he's OK to do that.
Walking is fantastic,although i do find walking up hill a bit of a stuggle as gravity changes and it does put extra pressure on joints,so it would be normal if his back ached!

"OMG THAT VIDEO IS AMAZING"!! She's so graceful you wouldn't even know!!

I played baseball on monday!!! I was so proud of myself,lol.
I nearly got a home run ... but got tipped!!!
Old 28th April 2010, 11:19 PM
Mod with a rod (or two)

You young uns put us oldies to shame lol