Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 4th March 2010, 10:58 AM
OrangeL

Default Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
. No problems. Swimming on my front I find awkward but swimming on my back is the same as pre-op. .
Before my Op, my legs used to sink quite a lot.. even now i get a buz from swimming feeling my feet on the top of the water
Old 4th March 2010, 11:03 AM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
Jen! Kayaking is something I'd love to try
What about Hobie 'kayaking' as an alternative...
http://www.hobiekayaks.co.uk/id2.html

Best for flatter water admittidly but the speed still gives you quite a thrill (I may have let my friend do most the work though hehe) and there is a spot to put your drink etc, and leaves your hands free to take photo's, have a drink...
Old 4th March 2010, 11:05 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

That looks like wicked fun Cheski! I actually think I might be OK flipping a kayak over, despite being fused to L4. I'm hypermobile and still have a lot of movement in my remaining lumbar spine and hips. I'll definitely ask my friends to take me out sometime, I'm confident they won't let me drown
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 4th March 2010, 03:55 PM
I love a CurlyWurly

Location: physically in Aylesbury, mentally on another planet

I still Ice Skate, have been Banger Racing (not the ideal thing to do with spinal problems), ride roller coasters, walk the dogs, carry a young child, and pretty much everything I could before surgery.
Old 4th March 2010, 04:16 PM
OrangeL

Carrying children is one thing that really knocks me Although it doesn't catch me till the next day, so at least it doesnt ruin the day
Old 4th March 2010, 06:16 PM
SSO Triathlete

What a brilliant idea

My age: 28
My fusion length: T10 - L3
Things I love to do: yoga, kickboxing, pole and ballroom/Latin American dancing, T'ai Chi, cardio and weights at the gym, walking/hiking, pretty much anything I fancy I can manage with my fusion actually! I'm fitter, happier and probably more flexible now than I was before surgery
Old 4th March 2010, 06:38 PM
RedL

This thread was a very good idea,i do sometimes get down when i find some things (mobility wise) a struggle,but i do get there eventually the majority of the time!

Instrumentated and fusion T2-L3,with titanium rods and screws,and im about 5-6 months post op! <<(OMG!)

Things i've done since surgery:
Swimming,pyshiotherapy,yoga,hip-hop dancing,climbed up nearly a whole mountain in the snow(!),shopping,apperently i have excellent flexation at the hips at 90 degrees (my surgeons words!)! And i try do p:e,but its really hard to run and other bits and bobs,but i can do tennis,bagminteon,netball and so on ..
Also i did work experience in a montesorri and had to lift a few kids of about 3-4 years old!

Quick Question:
Regarding swimming does anyone have difficulty with front stroke,because i find it really uncomfortable and my arms sorta lock when i attempt it?!!?
Old 5th March 2010, 10:13 AM
I love a CurlyWurly

Location: physically in Aylesbury, mentally on another planet

oh yeah, almost forgot I climbed up a rock climbing wall on holiday, and also had a try at snow boarding, and have a near perfect golf swing according to the wii fit (although I have never played golf in my life).
The thing is, if you really want to do something, you will find a way of adapting the activity to suit you no matter what level of mobility you have.
Old 15th March 2010, 01:08 PM
Teenager at heart!

Thumbs up Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

My 16 year old son had anterior release and posterior fusion with rod and screws from T2 to L3 at Stanmore last August. This thread has greatly encouraged me in realising that he will be able to do loads in the future. He desperately wants to go climbing and skiing again. This is a great site - so glad I found it.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:38 PM
SSO Scavenger Queen

Send a message via MSN to madmclw

My age: 16 (2 years post op)
My fusion length: T3 - L3
Instrumentation: 2 rods, 15 screws [titanium]
Things I have done: I have also been kyaking, in a conventional 1 man kyak, and also in the kyaks Cheski posted a picture of (in Namibia, no less!) Also whilst in Namibia, I went quad biking in the desert, and sandboarding (lie down), which basically involved hurtling down sanddunes at 80km/h on a piece of hardboard All...less than a year post op. That's the most adventurous of my activities, anyway
Diagnosed with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis on the 10th April 2007. Seen at the Child Development Centre at the Medway Maritime Hospital on 18th June then referred to Mr Noordeen at the RNOH Stanmore. Seen by consultant on the 13th July x-rays revealed 77o thoracolumbar curve and severe rotation. Surgery planned in 6 months had surgery on 26th November 2007. Admitted for pre-op on 23rd stayed in over the weekend. Curve then 90o, suffering from pain and reduced lung function. Moved from HDU to ward after 24hrs, then into isolation for suspected infection after 3 days. Symptoms turned out to be a bad reaction to antibiotics.
Old 16th March 2010, 07:36 PM
Marvellous Moderator

Maddy, you totally rock!
I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year
Old 16th March 2010, 07:50 PM
SSO Scavenger Queen

Thanks Sal! I have a video of it somewhere
Diagnosed with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis on the 10th April 2007. Seen at the Child Development Centre at the Medway Maritime Hospital on 18th June then referred to Mr Noordeen at the RNOH Stanmore. Seen by consultant on the 13th July x-rays revealed 77o thoracolumbar curve and severe rotation. Surgery planned in 6 months had surgery on 26th November 2007. Admitted for pre-op on 23rd stayed in over the weekend. Curve then 90o, suffering from pain and reduced lung function. Moved from HDU to ward after 24hrs, then into isolation for suspected infection after 3 days. Symptoms turned out to be a bad reaction to antibiotics.
Old 16th March 2010, 09:15 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Get it up on You Tube Maddy, then we can all watch it
Old 16th March 2010, 11:17 PM
SSO Scavenger Queen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e2jHwUg52Q

Here ye are then You can tell which one is me by the awkward way I had to board
Old 16th March 2010, 11:51 PM
Marvellous Moderator

Maddy, you crazy little thing you! Does look like you all had wicked fun though

You really are a great advert for scoliosis surgery though - it certainly hasn't held you back
I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year