Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 26th June 2011, 11:17 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Things you CAN do with a fused spine

You absolutely can ride a bike, I cycle LOTS
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 27th June 2011, 06:04 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel7 View Post
Can You Ride A Bike?
No. Oh ... wait ... that's just me - I never learned
Old 27th June 2011, 11:02 PM
OrangeD

Everything you want to do its never stopped me and I lift some serious weight all the time .
The question you want to ask is what's the consequence of it 10 / 20 yrs after op
Old 27th June 2011, 11:08 PM

I had my first op 25 years ago No serious consequences of anything yet!
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 28th June 2011, 07:05 AM
OrangeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
I had my first op 25 years ago No serious consequences of anything yet!
I may be getting ahead of myself but if I have got badly worn discs causing me the problems I'm having if they extend the fusion to include these discs will it fix the problem ?

Sorry off topic a bit
Old 28th June 2011, 12:24 PM

I had a badly worn disc at the bottom of my fusion (it's pretty much expected for this to happen if you have a long fusion) so I had a small operation to extend the fusion and was back climbing hills a month later It fixed me, so I think it's worth considering surgery if you have tried nonsurgical methods and they haven't worked for you.
Old 3rd July 2011, 04:30 PM
bionic, baby

BUMP!

cycle the etape du tour: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-surgery.html
Diagnosed in March 2001 by family GP after my mum noticed an asymmetry in my spine. Referred to a consultant at the RNOH, Stanmore and started attending consultations for x-rays twice a year. Prescribed a TLSO brace to be worn 16 hours per day. Began with double major curves at approx 48 degrees. Offered surgery in 2003 aged 16 and declined to continue with school. Requested surgery in 2005 instead. Had T11-L3 fused on 16th July 2005 and haven't looked back! Released for all activities in March 2006, having been driving and riding horses with consultant's permission since 7 weeks post op.
Old 3rd July 2011, 04:46 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
I had a badly worn disc at the bottom of my fusion (it's pretty much expected for this to happen if you have a long fusion) so I had a small operation to extend the fusion and was back climbing hills a month later It fixed me, so I think it's worth considering surgery if you have tried nonsurgical methods and they haven't worked for you.

As im fused to L4 should I be worried about the disc wearing out at the bottom of my fusion?
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 3rd July 2011, 05:43 PM
OrangeL

Wow - how fantastic is that - my whole family are keen cyclists and I was worried I may not beable to do this - AWESOME !!
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:19 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestone View Post
As im fused to L4 should I be worried about the disc wearing out at the bottom of my fusion?
There is an increased risk Sarah as you now only have two discs doing all the work of the rest (but at least that's twice as many as I have ) I wouldn't let it worry you too much though, having scoliosis in the first place puts uneven wear and tear on our discs, so one thing just balances the other I think
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestone View Post
Now I am fused to L4 I asked Mr Tucker how long my remaining disc could reasonably be expected to last. He said that he's had plenty of patients for whom the discs have never worn enough to be a problem even though they've had fusions this long for decades, So it's not a foregone conclusion that it will wear out, just that it's more likely to. I wouldn't let it stop you doing anything! I don't
Old 24th July 2011, 09:24 PM
BlueL

Bryony is 4 weeks post op and I caught her smelling her feet this morning!! yes her nose and toes did make contact!!
Or is this just the joy of being only 16?
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:03 PM
Tattoed, Crafty & Twisted

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before but it deserves another mention anyway - Go Ape! - Just completed my second full course today, had an absolute blast again, and don't ache anymore than normal this evening

http://goape.co.uk/what-is-goape

Here's a video link from their site
Liz aka Kat - I will answer to either Diagnosed with AIS at the age of 13. 1st surgery - Mr Ransford @RNOH in 1991, curves = 55T 45L, fused T2 - L2. 2nd surgery - Mr Harrison @RNOH in 2006 - revision of original surgery due to broken rod.
Now have Degenerative Disc Disease above and below my fusion and have recently been diagnosed with HMS and Fibromyalgia and therefore am in a lot of pain daily.
PM me if you want to know more.
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:04 PM

Oh wow Kat, that is SO cool A bunch of my friends did Go Ape just a couple of days ago and they had a brilliant time.
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:08 PM
Tattoed, Crafty & Twisted

Quote:
Oh wow Kat, that is SO cool A bunch of my friends did Go Ape just a couple of days ago and they had a brilliant time.
It is awesome, I did my first course as a Hen Do this time last year and knew straight away I wanted to go again, so mu Mum bought us gift vouchers for xmas and we finally got round to it today, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes to do 'thrill seeking' type activities, it is a real adrenaline rush at times xx
Liz aka Kat - I will answer to either Diagnosed with AIS at the age of 13. 1st surgery - Mr Ransford @RNOH in 1991, curves = 55T 45L, fused T2 - L2. 2nd surgery - Mr Harrison @RNOH in 2006 - revision of original surgery due to broken rod.
Now have Degenerative Disc Disease above and below my fusion and have recently been diagnosed with HMS and Fibromyalgia and therefore am in a lot of pain daily.
PM me if you want to know more.