Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 1st July 2014, 04:22 PM

Default Tattoo question

Hi guys, just wondering can anybody tell me how long after surgery before you can get a tattoo? Is it just because of the infection risk that they want you to wait or is there another reason?
Old 1st July 2014, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Tattoo question

Hi Lauren,

I have a fair amount of tattoos so I looked into this as well. The two tattoo artists I see both said it's generally 6-8 weeks post surgery but can vary on how well a person recovers.

Other than the infection risk (especially if you get a tattoo near the incision site) the issue is that your body is already focusing it's attention on healing somewhere else (your spine and incision) so it slows down the healing rate for your tattoo.

That being said, there's a gent on the forum, Scott, who got a beautiful medium-sized tattoo a couple weeks post surgery. He seemed to be fine afterwards. I'd rather wait though, I'm fairly cautious. (...As you've probably noticed. )

On another note, most tattoo artists will not tattoo on your incision site scar for a year post-surgery. It takes that amount of time for it to heal enough to hold the ink correctly. I have a back tattoo that can't be finished up until then.

I love tattoos - you should post a photo once you get it done!

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:06 AM

Hi Kay! How're you doing? Sorry to read about your vertigo issues but have my fingers crossed that it all turns out fine soon.

Thanks for your reply, it was super useful. I think I should be clear for one by now then! I'm not gonna get my scar tattooed so that is ok. I've been promising myself for years to get some more to go with my teeny weeny rose that I got as a teenager and I finally feel good enough about myself to do it (if that makes sense).

I think I saw the pic of your back tattoo on another thread - it looks amazing! I bet you can't wait until you can have it finished!
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:23 PM
SSO Triathlete

I'd give it as long as you can possibly bear to wait, but 3 months minimum.

A few years ago I decided I'd try and heal a 3 session leg piece at the same time as recover from pretty major surgery/blood loss and it really knocked me out.

They're both long term investments so worth taking care of/doing well as well as waiting for