Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 16th September 2009, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Going To Schroth Clinic

Okay, just want to confirm that I will be going to the Schroth clinic called Spinal Dynamics in Milwaukee week staring Oct 5th.

As you know from my earlier thread (with the typo "Scroth", sorry about that...), I was not sure whether to try it or not. Also, I did not know if I could take the time off work. I wont rehash the other thread but I just wanted to say that I will be trying it and will report back after the visit.

I just know I cannot go through another winter in pain. I am luckier than many because I do get some relief from pain in the summer but I am already starting to dread the first frost of the year. Also, I really don't go out much anymore these days because going to parties can be a nightmare for me (I can't stand too long in the same position, get spasms then get locked in a positions and have to limp out of the tangle....etc etc). Even sitting on a pal's sofa is nasty if they have a squishy soft sofa. I just tend to stay home and feel lonely. I HAVE to try and reclaim something of my life. I just hope this clinic helps me overcome a few obstacles and manage pain year round.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:41 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Going To Schroth Clinic

Good luck, Lucy! I think this could definitely help you with your pain, lots of people report that it does Fingers crossed for you!

I'll move this to the Nonsurgical forum as it fits better there, hope that's OK.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, no worries. I was going to put it there but I didn't want to get in the way of the bracing debate which I thought was more important than me prattling on! (Even I'm bored with me....).
Old 16th September 2009, 08:49 PM
Mod with a rod (or two)

Lucy, Lucy, Lucy, i really hope it can help one of my best friends on here with relief from the obvious pain you are suffering, please god help friend get some pain relief and help her live the life she so deserves

Lucy, your a special person

Your old buddy giving you much love from a wind swept corner of Northern England

mark

Mark's a groovin an a movin
Old 16th September 2009, 08:55 PM

No no no! The Nonsurgical forum is for everyone, and it is really intended for the support of people who are interested in trying nonsurgical techniques. The bracing debate has its own thread and others certainly aren't going to get in the way of it

Anyway, you're not boring, don't be so silly Lucy!
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mark and Toni. Hugs and thanks to you both

I'll be sure to stick all non surgical stuff in here. But seeing as even non members can view it I better make sure I behave myself a bit .
Old 16th September 2009, 09:51 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Good luck Lucy, I really hope it helps you get on top of your pain
Old 17th September 2009, 06:09 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Lucy, You are going to be great! Hopefully the oft talked and argued about will be at least half as good as they claim. Schroth program sounds interesting in terms of eliminating pain. You so deserve to be pain free. Hugs and all the best luck!,
Old 17th September 2009, 09:29 AM
OrangeL

Lucy, I really really hope this works for you I think you are doing the right thing in giving it a go - you have nothing to lose really, and it may well end up transforming your life (fingers crossed...)

We will all be thinking of you - can't wait to hear how you get on xx
Old 17th September 2009, 10:38 AM
OrangeL

Good luck to you too. I really hope it gives you your life back. I'd be really interested to hear how you get on. Your social life problems sound so much like mine - planning everything is exhausting so it's easier to stay in sometimes.

By the way how much does it cost?
Old 17th September 2009, 11:40 AM
Obsequious neophyte

It's a bit ironic hearing about folks coming to the US from Europe for Schroth therapy when folks here in the US seem to want to go to Germany where this treatment was developed. I get the impression they end up going to Stevens Point, Wisconsin (didn't realize there was a clinic in Milwaukee) but it seems they would rather have gone to Germany if they could swing it.

I think PT has been shown to reduce pain in adults so that might work.

I lived in Milwaukee for several years. A great place by a great lake.

Good luck.
Old 17th September 2009, 02:33 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdle View Post
Your social life problems sound so much like mine - planning everything is exhausting so it's easier to stay in sometimes.
Yep, I can relate to this too! Makes life a bit lonely though

Hopefully the treatment will give you a whole new lease of life Lucy!
Old 17th September 2009, 04:15 PM
OrangeL

Lucy I really hope it goes well for you and you can start living the kind of life you want.

I can certainly relate to the staying in thing a lot, Me and hubby used to go to the cinema a lot but the thought of discomfort doesnt encourage me.
I stopped going out with my friend for a drink once a month because I couldnt stand the pain of sitting in a pub.

Lots of luck and I will forward to hearing how it all went. x
Old 17th September 2009, 04:26 PM

Lucy's based in the US Sharon

We've heard from plenty of people that targetted physio can help their pain and help them improve their posture (ie the way they carry themselves, rather than correct their scoliosis) so hopefully this will help her a lot. Fingers crossed!
Old 17th September 2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Okay I just write a long reply and then realised I wasn't online. What a pillock! When I logged in I lost the text.

I am at work so my reply now will be brief.

First of all, Burdle the Clinic I am going to is called Spinal Dynamics in Milwaukee.

http://www.sdwpt.com/services.php
A week's Schroth (one to one PT) is $5000. Please feel free to PM me with any questions now of after my therapy. They also do group sessions.

Sharon, to be honest I felt torn between this clinic and the one in Stevens Point http://www.scoliosisrehab.com/.

Scoliosis rehab sounded wonderful and I did get to speak to many satisfied former clients (although I know that all the people who agreed to talk to me on the list of contacts were people that had given glowing reports). Anyway, I know that Beth at Stevens Point has a superb reputation.

One big factor for me in choosing which clinic was figuring out how to get there. To get to Stevens Point you have to change flights (and I have lost enough flights due to delays in the past to know that, if anything can go wrong connecting to another flight, it will). But I can get a fast direct flight to Milwaukee from Reagan National in DC which is great. Another logistical factor is that there is a hotel opposite the Milwaukee clinic so no need to get taxis there and back (there is even a free shuttle from the airport).

But what really made the decision for me was that, after speaking to both therapists for over an hour each (poor ladies, I bombarded them with questions) I felt slightly more comfortable going to Spinal Dynamics. The reason is that I have been very worried about any equipment I may need to follow the exercises at home. I am sure many of you have seen photos of kids doing Schroth exercises on bars that look like school gym bars. Well, here is the problem - I live in rented accommodation. I really cannot go and buy a ladder (as some former clients from Scoliosis Rehab had done as soon as they got home) and nail it into a wall or garage. That is the problem of not owning your home - you can't do that type of thing. So I was worried this would all be a huge waste of time. The folks at Stevens Point told me not to worry, that they were sure something could be worked out. Frankly that was not enough to put my fears at rest. But Amy at the Milwaukee clinic went into a great deal of detail on how certain exercises could be adapted with the same results. To me that was what sealed the deal. I completely understand that Scoliosis Rehab could not talk to me too much about exercises without seeing my back and I am sure they would also be able to adapt the exercises to meet my accommodation restrictions also, but I was very impressed with how Amy responded and her ideas.

Thank you all for your support. Means so much to me.xxxx