Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 7th September 2009, 08:32 PM
Adult Member

Default Sleep positions

As so many of us seem to be having problems sleeping thought a short survey on what seems to work may give others some ideas to try! (like me! )

I have wondered if sleeping on my side is making my shoulder rotate forward more, so I have been trying to sleep on my back (yuk). Just cannot do that.
Tried sleeping on my front, but as I am, should I say fuller figured that makes my back a very odd shape and uncomfortable.
Have tried the pillow under the tummy/hips, I seem to get too hot and move around the bed and that defeats the object of the pillow.

First person with a miracle cure gets my assistance in marketing and protecting your 'property intelligence' rights! etc.
Old 7th September 2009, 08:41 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Sleep positions

I can recommend sleeping with a pillow between your knees, as this helps stop your pelvis and lower back from twisting

A memory foam mattress might also help you a lot, as you'd sink naturally into it.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 7th September 2009, 08:50 PM
RedL

The pillow between the knees really works! Also you could place a pillow behind your back and roll back onto it if you get me?! Hope this helps!
Any questions, just ask!
Old 7th September 2009, 09:06 PM
RedL

Yep i agree with everyone else pillow between the knees , also i find bending my knees 90 degrees then crossing them is comfortable.Also a pillow between my ribs and pelvis helps my body not collapsing and my ribs and hip touching.
Hmm ... this is weird i find holding a pillow in my arms helps (i know im mad with all these pillows!) because i dont like my shoulder blades touching!

Oh another very comfortable way of sleeping is putting a pillow under your legs while lying flat , this takes the pressure off my spine.
Old 7th September 2009, 10:01 PM
I love a CurlyWurly

Location: physically in Aylesbury, mentally on another planet

I hate the pillow between my knee's lol - I either sleep on my side, or more often on my tummy, with my pillow diagonally from right to left (so i'm sorta sleeping on it) and my legs in figure 4 kind of shape.

Ok I know i'm odd (and my belly and boobs put my back in an odd position) but it works for me lol.
Old 7th September 2009, 10:11 PM
Marvellous Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 461992 View Post
The pillow between the knees really works! Also you could place a pillow behind your back and roll back onto it if you get me?! Hope this helps!
A pillow between my knees normally works fine for me, but even that failed me last night! I still felt like I was twisted somehow

I think I might need to upgrade to a memory foam mattress...
I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year
Old 7th September 2009, 10:14 PM
Marvellous Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybird View Post
I hate the pillow between my knee's lol - I either sleep on my side, or more often on my tummy, with my pillow diagonally from right to left (so i'm sorta sleeping on it) and my legs in figure 4 kind of shape.

Ok I know i'm odd (and my belly and boobs put my back in an odd position) but it works for me lol.
I know what you mean - I sleep like this too, with a pillow between the side of my chest and the bed (kinda hard to explain!)
I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year
Old 7th September 2009, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting thread Eliie! I definately have quite a bizzare sleeping position at night. I tend to start off lying to my back, with two pillows until I get quite comfortable and relaxed, then I roll over onto my front, and kind of lie on my tummy, but I twist my lower spine (or whats left of it!) ... well actually (I've just tried it out) I lie more on my right side, mainly my hip touches the matress, and the rest of me twists around, in some way, so that my chest and shoulders touch the matress. I slide down so that only the top of my head is touching the pillow ... (I dislike pillows, they irritate my neck, so most end up on the floor by morning!), one pillow is then used underneath my left side, mainly under my arm ... and i am generally quite comfy like that.

During the night, I can sometimes switch over to the other side, and the same position is applied, but on opposite sides!

Sounds a little odd, maybe similar to Cherrybird (sorry, I can't remember your 'real' name), but it works for me, although I'm not sure its doing my lower spine any good, but I slept on my tummy prior to surgery, and the same way, only a little adapted after!
Old 7th September 2009, 11:38 PM
Open to interpretation

I lie on my side and put a pillow between my two arms as if I'm kinda clutching it. Seems to work for me.
Old 8th September 2009, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Jonno I do the same. I really try to keep the pillow between my knees all night but it ends up between my arms. Its a bit hot in summer....!
Old 8th September 2009, 06:47 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

I usually start out on my left side with my right leg on Allen. But I switch after a short time and sleep on my right side and knees bent. Sometimes I sleep with pillow between knees. I almost can't lie on my back because of my hump and tail bone get sore. I also have to have the oxygen hooked up to the lovely Bi pap machine that keeps me breathing at night. I swear it is the most unromantic boudoir one can imagine!
I am 61 years old and the resident SSO fossil. I live in Oklahoma,USA with my husband Allen. We have one daughter Jae and she has three kids.Our grandkids are: Aidan is8. He's the one pictured in my current avatar. Jenna Jean is 7 and Ryan Allen is just 4 It's full time chaos here! I was diagnosed in 1965 at 14 years with Kyphoscoliosis and 2 curves measuring 68 and 63 degrees. My last measurements were in 2004 at 155, 88 and 55+ degrees. I have never had surgery or bracing so I now am on full time oxygen and use a Non Invasive Ventilator at night. at night.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:51 AM
OrangeL

Getting comfortable in bed is a real problem for me just lately.

I always have a pillow under my knees but it does make me hot.I find that I can only sleep on my back but now my rib hump is really sore-dr said the nerves are very irritated, feels like somebody is pushing a hot poker into them!

I find I can lie on my side for a while if im clutching a pillow but then my shoulder that im lying on starts to hurt so its back onto my back, I try to lean on my good side a little to take the pressure off those burning ribs.

I wake early hours though with pressure pain on my lower back so I put a pillow under my hips and one under my knees-sleeping is a nightmare!
Old 8th September 2009, 12:02 PM
Marvellous Moderator

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could somehow be suspended in mid-air, so we're not laying on rib humps, scars and sore bits? Might be a bit freaky, but i'd love to just float like that! I'm so sick of waking up in the middle of the night with numb arms and sore shoulders, but then my arms are generally cumbersome anyway - never know what to do with them, if that makes sense!
Old 8th September 2009, 12:10 PM
OrangeL

Yes I often say to my hubby that I wish I could sleep on a cloud!
Old 8th September 2009, 12:50 PM
I love a CurlyWurly

Location: physically in Aylesbury, mentally on another planet
Post Re: Sleep positions

Hmm maybe we should all invest in water flotation tanks - no pressure on spines, no worrying about carrying excess weight, with only 1 small flaw.....
.....wrinkles from being in the water too long.
Claire