Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Infantile, Juvenile and Congenital Scoliosis Room

Notices

Old 2nd October 2012, 01:26 AM
BlueL

Cool Monica's Surgery Photos...

Pre-OP

Post-OP/ PICU

Recovery Photos

Old 2nd October 2012, 06:17 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Default Re: Monica's Surgery Photos...

Sending hugs to a brave little girl and an even more brave Mom. God Love Ya!
I am 61 years old and the resident SSO fossil. I live in Oklahoma,USA with my husband Allen. We have one daughter Jae and she has three kids.Our grandkids are: Aidan is8. He's the one pictured in my current avatar. Jenna Jean is 7 and Ryan Allen is just 4 It's full time chaos here! I was diagnosed in 1965 at 14 years with Kyphoscoliosis and 2 curves measuring 68 and 63 degrees. My last measurements were in 2004 at 155, 88 and 55+ degrees. I have never had surgery or bracing so I now am on full time oxygen and use a Non Invasive Ventilator at night. at night.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:37 AM
BlueL

What a honey! Well done to you both. It is fantastic to see her smiling on the other side of surgery. I'm sure it is still super rough for you both but hang in there and we are here if you need anything. Hugs mama!

Andi S
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:07 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Oh, what a little doll! That is a great smile! She's done amazingly well, well done both of you
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Oh what a beautiful little girl Monica is. She looks just like an angel. Sending Monica and her Mummy lots of love and best wishes.
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:18 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Oh my, how proud must you be of your beautiful little daughter? She has such amazing spirit, I hope she has a really smooth recovery and that you get to have a bit of 'me' time too
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:08 PM
OrangeL

Bless her,what a smile glad she's in such good spirits.she's so brave.well done to you both for getting through this.
Im hopin monica will be home real soon then you can get back to some normality
LGI Leeds.
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:16 PM

Hi Jenna! You mentioned in previous posts that you're wearing a "cast" - are you wearing a permanent plaster (plaster of Paris) cast that can't be removed until they remove it with a saw, or a post-op brace that was moulded to fit you but can be removed?
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:37 PM
OrangeL

Hi
Ye I say cast but body brace is probably a better description.its a brace that was moulded to my body with zips down the sides and on top of the shoulders
LGI Leeds.
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:57 PM

You're right, that's what we would usually call a "post-op brace" or a TLSO rather than a cast you're lucky in getting one custom-moulded, they're generally a lot more comfy than the off-the-peg post-op braces! I wish I'd kept the one I had when I was 18 as it would be interesting to compare my body shape then as it is now. Most people can't wait to ditch the things once they're finished with them though
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:37 AM
BlueL

aww what a sweetie. such a pretty smile.
Old 7th October 2012, 09:19 PM
BlueL

Oh little Monica is so beautiful and brave her little smile despite all she is going through just shows what a strong little girl she is, hope your ok to mum Sue xx
Old 18th October 2012, 02:30 PM

Best of luck to the both of you, she is gorgous. enjoy the time off together xx
Old 14th November 2012, 05:10 PM
BlueL

What a sweetheart...she looks so similar to my little girl too!!! xx

X-ray of F's corrected curve. Diagnosed Feb 2012 41 degrees. Upon casting july 2012 curve had progressed to 47 degrees with compensatory curves of 28 above and 36 below. Due to have magnetic rods inserted in April as Main curve has reached 58 degrees and compensatory curves over 40. Didn't have MAGEC rods in the end as has possibility of MRI's in the future due to having NF1. So she has sliding growth rods along the lines of Davies Dominoes, they haven't slid on there own so having 6 monthly lengthenings.
Old 25th November 2012, 11:19 AM
Be happy and... Smile!

What a little princess hope recovery is going nicely bless her xx
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary..." - Steve Jobs