Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 19th May 2008, 06:40 PM
RedL

Hi guys,
Havent been on for a long time..had a million things going on but its all quietened down now after my exams finished on friday and im looking forward to a nice long summer!!

Im off to zante with the girls in a month and really want to get into shape. Im happy with my figure and everything (am a size 8/10), just want to tone up really, especially my stomach! The problem is that due to my fusion (T3-L3) and the 3 rods in my back i cant do sit ups!
Anyone got any advice on another type of exercise that wlould achieve the same results??

Thanks!

(oh and not sure if this is in the right place so feel free to move it if it isnt!)
Old 19th May 2008, 08:52 PM
** Ali **

I have the same problem!! Ive been trying to find new ways to do abs for the last couple of years and i think i have just found one.... lay on your back as if you are going to do normal sit ups, lift your shoulders off the ground as much as you can do (i have to support the back of my neck with my hands) and then raise your legs and move them as if you are peddling a bike.

ive found that i dont need to be able to lift my back off the ground because you have to try and hold your legs up while you are "peddling" which works your abs. The higher you lift your legs and the longer you hold them up the harder the workout on your abs!

Hope his makes sense!
Old 19th May 2008, 09:42 PM
OrangeL

Here's one, taught to me by the coach at my chiropractors rehabilitation gym. Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet firmly planted on floor (flat). Put your hands on your tummy. Whilst breathing (otherwise you go a nasty purple colour!), Pull your tummy towards your spine and hold this position for a count of 10. Then gradually let it go back. Do this for at least 20 times. The count can gradually increase as you get more used to it. It is surprisingly good and helps with your core stability as well!! Its a really gentle way of getting those tummy muscles really toned.
Have fun!