Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Kyphosis, Lordosis and Flatback Room

Notices

Old 15th May 2013, 08:47 PM
OrangeD

Default revision surgery, hooks replaced with screws

Hi, in y previous posts I have been complaining about a dislodged hook causing me pain at the top of my fusion. On monday (2 days ago) I had the surgery at LGI under the care of mr Rao. He took the hooks out and secured the rod with 2 screws on each side instead. The lump has now gone and although it is v painful hopefully I will be pain free once I am recovered. He said I am fully fused but thought it was too early to take all the metalwork out... It is funny that even though he was working in the top area of the fusion it is still a pretty serious op!
I am just going to take things really easy fir a month or so (no lifting, bending or twisting for 3 months according to physio) as I don't want the screws to dislodge...
Josh
Old 15th May 2013, 09:28 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: revision surgery, hooks replaced with screws

Glad you got it sorted Josh, good luck with your recovery
Old 16th May 2013, 07:17 PM

Good luck Josh, and my advice is if the physio says give it 3 months.... please take their advice. The only prize you may get for rushing your recovery is another trip to a Doc, so kick back and ride it out. 3 months isn't that long Take care...
Old 18th May 2013, 02:19 PM
OrangeL

Good luck in your recovery Josh and you pay attention to the physio! You don't want to mess this up by moving to fast! After my revision surgery April 12th I have felt so much better than I did prior to surgery that I sometimes when in bed think I can get up normal and then remember that I just had surgery and must log roll. The rest of the time I'm wearing my brace so I can't mess up to bad during those hours. I had 2 loose screws at the bottom of the fusion site and the vertebrae collapsed and tilted as a result. The whole thing was terrible and I really don't want to go through this again. I know you don't so be careful!!!
Margaret (43 years old. Thoracolumbar Scoliosis, hyper-kyphosis, cervical hyper-lordosis, flatback, DDD, spondylolithesis, canal stenosis, collapsed, herniated, and perforated discs. Surgery: Dr. DeWald, Chicago Rush University Medical Center, 12/28/2011: Fusion T11-L4. Screws in the L4 became loose and vertebrae slipped backward causing the L3 to sit on L4 at an angle and straightened the normal lordotic curve. Revision surgery 04/12/2013: realign L3-4, installed 2 cages between L3-4 packed with BMP and bone graft, install larger screws and restore normal lordosis.
Old 18th May 2013, 07:24 PM
OrangeD

Thanks for your replies. I am taking it really easy at the moment, mostly lying down and going for short walks now and again. Next week I will do more sitting... I am just worried something will go wrong again and want to do everything right! The physio said no lifting bending or twisting for 3 months but my surgeon said I would be back swimming within a month! I will listen to the physio but 3 months is a long time and it was a relatively small op compared with the last. I read somewhere online that screws are less likely to come loose than hooks and once the spine is healed / fused they are less likely to come loose so I will just be patient!
Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 03:44 PM
OrangeL

Hope all is going well and that you are still being very careful! It is nerve wracking hoping and trying not to mess up the surgeon's work isn't it? Last night while I was in bed I was in so much pain I was sure I had done something to mess with the revision surgery I just had on April 12th, ugh...
Margaret (43 years old. Thoracolumbar Scoliosis, hyper-kyphosis, cervical hyper-lordosis, flatback, DDD, spondylolithesis, canal stenosis, collapsed, herniated, and perforated discs. Surgery: Dr. DeWald, Chicago Rush University Medical Center, 12/28/2011: Fusion T11-L4. Screws in the L4 became loose and vertebrae slipped backward causing the L3 to sit on L4 at an angle and straightened the normal lordotic curve. Revision surgery 04/12/2013: realign L3-4, installed 2 cages between L3-4 packed with BMP and bone graft, install larger screws and restore normal lordosis.
Old 20th May 2013, 04:18 PM
OrangeD

Hi Margeret, yes all I think about is not doing any damage! I just went for a half hour walk and that felt good.. However in bed last night I woke up and was sleeping on my side again (sleep on my back after surgery) and I was worried it might do some damage! I have pain at the top again but I think it is just from where the hooks were dislodged last time as it feels normal (apart from the swelling).
Hope your taking it nice and easy!
Old 28th May 2013, 04:18 PM

good to hear you're taking short walks and resting as much as you can. Have you found any new static hobbies to do while you're resting, I've just started playing guitar as it's something I can do whilst sitting.

One thought for you is talking books. A friend of mine downloaded one that was 52 hrs long the other day and said it was gripping. This may be something to help you while away a bit of time while resting You can pay for them off internet, or free from a UK library.