Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Kyphosis, Lordosis and Flatback Room

Notices

Old 31st July 2013, 02:30 PM

Default Surgery 14th August & I'm in need of advice.

Hello all ,
I've been on this site on and off for the past year but haven't posted because I've been pretty at ease about my operation(I'm having my spine fused, my curve is currently at 85 degrees)...However as it's only two weeks away I'm starting to have doubts about having it. I'm getting so stressed and the fact that I'm in my final year of school doesn't help. All my friends & family are telling me that everything will be okay blah blah blah but they don't know what I'm going through so i don't really have anyone to talk.

I have my pre op appointment this Friday(that is if the hospital doesn't change it AGAIN) and I'm hoping they will help me with answers but i would love to know about other people experiences

I guess the main things I would like to know are:
What was the pain like, Was it hard to adjust to going home after you had been in hospital & anything else that might help me before and after the operation

thanks you Ellie
Old 31st July 2013, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Surgery 14th August & I'm in need of advice.

oh you should talk to robinpaige and Angeceilien, they both had fusion for kyphosis.
Scoliloves<3 to you
hip hump: age 11/Diagnosis age:14/Current:15/ left thoracolumbar T10-L4 42* caused sideways & anterior pelvic tilt, right upper thoracic compensatory 25*, caused loss of kyphosis, which caused Forward Head Posture 2" forward. Doctors disagree, if congenital, caused by L5 hemi, or idiopathic.
As owners of their bodies, people have more control than they think. I'm tired of surrendering on exam tables and pleading to doctors, "fix me". Do my best with what I can. Face the fact that I can't do everything. Let the doctors do it. People have so much potential in their aching bones, I see it in them, I see it in me. I want to set us free. Even if I become fused, I will stand by that.
Old 31st July 2013, 05:23 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Hi there

My fusion was for scoliosis rather than kyphosis, so it's probably best if someone else answers your questions, but I just wanted to welcome you to the site
Old 31st July 2013, 05:49 PM

Hi,

I'm happy to take private messages! I had doubts too, its normal, did u have a look at my before and afters! It would have been an easier recovery and better correction to have done it at your age, also less risky. My health was also going down. Check my neck, my spine was almost pushing through my throat. I am a student too... I am managing some student work now just 12 days after my op, my pain is going down(urs will prob be less cz of youth)!

Please message me if u have any personal questions(I check the forum frequently and people have helped me through this time and it is my turn to be guide)

Wissing u less stress!

Please don't hestitate,

Look at my pics, I spent the best bikini years of my life twisted up like a pretzel!

Ange
Old 31st July 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabethmadeline View Post
Hello all ,
I've been on this site on and off for the past year but haven't posted because I've been pretty at ease about my operation(I'm having my spine fused, my curve is currently at 85 degrees)...However as it's only two weeks away I'm starting to have doubts about having it. I'm getting so stressed and the fact that I'm in my final year of school doesn't help. All my friends & family are telling me that everything will be okay blah blah blah but they don't know what I'm going through so i don't really have anyone to talk.

I have my pre op appointment this Friday(that is if the hospital doesn't change it AGAIN) and I'm hoping they will help me with answers but i would love to know about other people experiences

I guess the main things I would like to know are:
What was the pain like, Was it hard to adjust to going home after you had been in hospital & anything else that might help me before and after the operation

thanks you Ellie
Hi Ellie,

I can't comment on post-surgery yet as mine is coming up in a few months but I wanted to say 'hello and welcome' and let you know I think your fears are normal. I am starting to get them as well and I've been wanting the surgery for 25 years!

I don't know if this would help you, but I remember seeing posts on this site where some people put together a pros/cons list for having the surgery. (This included their concerns regarding having surgery.) There was some great feedback the members from the group, they were very reassuring to read. Maybe posting something similar would be of help to you?

For me, the main thing helping me to 'keep my eyes on the prize' is thinking about what will happen if I DON'T get surgery. Per my surgeon, I will likely not be a good candidate for surgery once I go through menopause (due to osteoporosis). Plus the osteoporosis will probably mean my curvature will become progressively worse (I'm stable right now at about 80 degrees kyphosis) and I will experience more pain. I also read a study online done on people who did not have surgery and the older ones reported more difficulty going up stairs and carrying things. So although I am scared of the risks associated with surgery, I feel those risks are better than the probability of further pain and functional limitations when I get older.

Hope this helps, good luck to you!
-Kay
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:18 PM

Thanks you all for replying

My pre op appointment helped me understand everything so much better, I'm alright at the moment however depending on how i go this next week i may end up messaging people just to talk about stuff with the operation

It's nice to hear the after 12 days school work can be done which give me confidence that i will hopefully will be doing work and not doing as the doctors said (sleep, sleep & more sleep :P)

I will have a look at the forums with the pro's and con's information but I think after getting all the drilled down my throat today about what could happen I might not..

thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:43 PM

I was also quite scared about uni so I know the feeling too well! Dont worry before u know it ul be two weeks post op and going where did the tine go? How did I get here? I feel so much better! Theres something wrong? I feel ok? Was it a dream?
Old 11th August 2013, 01:13 AM

You can also message me.

I'm almost 2 years out from surgery one. Don't sweat the stress. (I know, that doesn't make sense and the reality is, if you weren't stressed about it, it wouldn't be worth doing.)

What was the pain like? It hurt a lot. More than anything else I've been through. No sense in sugar coating. But now all of the daily chronic pain is GONE and life is so much better. You'll eventually forget the pain from right after surgery and you won't miss the day to day pain at all.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery!
Old 11th August 2013, 09:25 AM

Good luck, and try and enjoy the last few days of ur old life. Look at your back, in just 4days u will wake up and there will be pain, but that curve u have lived with all ur life will be flattened.

I was about to crawl out my skin at this point. The morning of surgery denail hit. It wasnt really happening. Then they wheeled me into theature (unsedataed) but I got injected and the ceiling was moving another I was out. It didnt feel like so many hours had passes. Yes I had pain (loads of it dead honest) . I plainily went back to sleep. ..got visitors I slept through them. Bit more pain.

Ask for a pca pump before hand! Insist on it! Muscle relaxers cz u gona spasm.

Until I got out of bed and walked to the mirror day2 I didnt appreciate the change...my shoulders hit me first (they were beautifully back. Then I saw my puffy face from being on ot so long! Then my straight back! That didnt belong to me I was hunched!

Its worth it pain (theres alot) reward (theres more).

Post op good days and bad. But the rewarf is priceless it will soon be over. Dont worry till they wake u up ur is snooze land and quite abit after so its like a long nap.
Old 12th August 2013, 07:56 PM

Hey Ellie,

Just wanted to wish you the best for your surgery coming up on Wednesday! I'm sure you'll do great and I'm looking forward to hear how its going for you and what recovery is like (my surgery for SK is coming up October).

-Kay
Old 13th August 2013, 03:08 PM

Sorry I haven't replied been busy getting ready for everything :P

These posts give me a HUGE boost of confidence!! I'm currently sitting in a hotel room with metal plates glued to my head & dots to my legs, i feel like an alien :P

I'm very keen to see me new back, that's what has been keeping me going really. And the fact that the pain will be mostly gone! like once i'm all recovered i can go shopping without being in pain :P

I think I'm more nervous about waking up and not knowing what is going on etc but after I had numerous tests today I've got an idea

I just want to thank you all for commenting & showing support! makes me feel better!!

& hopefully once i'm up to it i will post how my operation went & how i'm doing )
Old 13th August 2013, 04:20 PM

Ull be dopey for a while , I rem waking up in a haze and my surgeon saying ur gona be happy when u see ur correction and I was like huh? Correction?.zzzzzzzz
Old 13th August 2013, 04:21 PM

Goodluck! I rem the day before...calm denial excitement fear acceptance...more denail
Old 24th August 2013, 09:20 AM

Hello guys!
First I'm alive!! sorry I haven't replied sooner I haven't really been using my laptop.

So my surgery was a success, I have had T2 to L2 fused & with rods in my spine.

I'll give a quick run down on what the morning of was like and my stay in hospital

Pretty much the morning of involved waking up at 6:30 am and driving down to the hospital, from there I was admitted and given my pre meds. At the time I didn't realize that these meds would knock me right out before I was moved into the room where they put the IV's in etc, so i didn't get to say goodbye to my family or get to see what was going to happen, I'm glad i was knocked out early because it made it easier for my mum.

Basically I woke up in ICU with over 4 IV's in my hands and neck. From what I can remember from ICU I was high as a kite and I had more discomfort then pain.

After 24 hours I was moved to the ward I would stay in for most of my stay, the one thing if you have this operation is to be prepared to woke every hour for pills and potions and the nurses make sure that your fingers and toes are working, be woken was about the most annoying thing.. well besides waking up to screaming babies(was at a children's hospital)

Physio is the possibly the hardest thing I had ever done in my life. Sitting for the first time hurt soooo much, and i went nuts at the nurses because they were taking pictures & telling eveyone to come look. I think if you are anything like me ask for privacy before you sit and walk for the first time, having a lot of people around me made me feel worse.
I was walking by the 4th day, at first it was such a struggle to get out of the bed and walk but once you move and get eveything working walking is like a god send!
towards my end of my stay i looked forward to physio because it gave me something to do, my only problem was the bed was higher then it should have been so it was a bit more painful to get out of :P

I was in hospital 9 days & by the time i left i couldn't wait to get home

Being home is nice however, i have awful pains in my shoulders because the muscles are getting used to everything & Most nights i don't sleep much at all because i get so uncomfortable.

If anyone has any questions about my experience message me and I can answer

Thanks you Ellie xx
Old 24th August 2013, 10:28 AM

I still can't get out of bed on my own without help from lying down at 180degrees. Is it cold there by u now? I found before surgery it was too painful to lay on my back now ut is the most comfortable.

I found when its cold an electric blanket really helped the shoulder pain and muscle spasms. But my back was do sensitive even a fold in the sheet would cause pain. I bought a special memory foam pillow. I found that really made a difference. It cralded my neck and lifed my head while my newly back painful shoulders could rest softly on the mattress.

I found my whole back felt pulled and sore. The spasms used to run from my neck to my shoulders.

Are u still on muscle relaxers? If ur struggling to sleep u might need a medication adjustment?

For typing I found that I needed to raise my laptop higher to work. Everything was too low down.

Any questions please just ask.

Ange