Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 10th December 2007, 04:37 PM
BlueL

Hi, we have just returned from Immy's 6 month review with Ashley Cole & Andrew Mills. Fabulous news! Out of brace xray measured 27 or 25 degrees (depending on who you asked!). This is down from 38 degrees 6 months ago. Needless to say we are THRILLED. Spinecor is incredible. I wish every child had access to it. This does not mean that she WILL avoid surgery but that there is slightly more chance of avoiding it. At the least, the good news is that she won't need the op any time soon, therefore buying important growing time...

(a very happy) Laura xx
Old 10th December 2007, 04:59 PM
OrangeL

Aw that's great! She was soooo close to the surgery line. YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10th December 2007, 05:56 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Congratulations, I am so happy for all of you that the curve is actually being reduced. You're right that it might not prevent surgery but at least she will get in some good growth time. Good Job Mom.
I am 61 years old and the resident SSO fossil. I live in Oklahoma,USA with my husband Allen. We have one daughter Jae and she has three kids.Our grandkids are: Aidan is8. He's the one pictured in my current avatar. Jenna Jean is 7 and Ryan Allen is just 4 It's full time chaos here! I was diagnosed in 1965 at 14 years with Kyphoscoliosis and 2 curves measuring 68 and 63 degrees. My last measurements were in 2004 at 155, 88 and 55+ degrees. I have never had surgery or bracing so I now am on full time oxygen and use a Non Invasive Ventilator at night. at night.
Old 10th December 2007, 08:09 PM
OrangeL

That's wonderful to hear ! It's very encouraging to see how well she's doing.
Sins
Old 10th December 2007, 08:42 PM
BlueL

Thats realy good news
Old 10th December 2007, 09:33 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Wow, that's what I call a result! Fantastic news that she will have more 'growing time', even if she does need surgery in the long run. I'm SO chuffed for you both

Gilly xx
Old 10th December 2007, 11:56 PM
OrangeL

Congratulations on the great update! I really like the concept of the Spinecor brace for mild to moderate curves. It has a lot of potential to get things going in the right direction while still allowing for good muscle tone and flexibility. Some curves are stubborn, of course, especially when there's a vertebral anomaly at the cause, but whenever possible I think Spinecor should be considered.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:00 PM
BlueL

That's brilliant news Laura. Spinecor was obviously the right decision!
Sam
Mum to Megan who had surgery for a 50+ degree lumbar curve on 10/10/08. Fused T11 to L5, 2 rods, 14 screws. 3 years bracing but curve still progressed from 30 degrees. Consultant is Mr Bowden at the Nuffield Oxford.
Old 14th December 2007, 11:55 PM
BlueL

Wow!!!

What fantastic news Laura you must be so relieved.

Love Nicki
Mum to Lucy who is 13 years old and has idiopathic scoliosis. Lucy was diagnoised at 6 and a half and started wearing a brace when she was 9 and her curve was measuring 43 degrees. Lucy is under the care of Professor Fairbank at the Nuffield Orthopedic Centre in Oxford. Lucy has now had surgery (19 March 2010) to correct her scoliosis after her curve reached 69 degrees, she has been fused from T3 to L3 and had a costoplasty at the same time. The results are fantastic and has gained 3 inches in height as a result.
Old 19th December 2007, 08:29 PM
GreenD

Congratz!!

Can u say to me ( not english ppl ) what is Spinecor ??
Old 19th December 2007, 09:16 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Spinecor is a type of brace Arthur, only instead of being rigid, it uses flexible bands which wrap around the body to hold the curve stable - and even offer some correction in some cases too! I'm afraid my description is a bit poor as I have no first-hand experience of braces, but I'm sure the others will come on to explain it better to you!
Old 20th December 2007, 10:16 AM
BlueL

Arthur, Gilly's description was perfect. You could have a look on their website - www.spinecorporation.com. Spinecor is generally used for pre-adolescent children with smallish curves, however I have heard of older people using it for pain management. It is not a miracle cure - nothing is - but I strongly believe that it offers the best option for many children. I think it's a terrible shame that it's not well known in this country; We only found out about it through the NSF forum and we met a lot of hostility from various people when we expressed an interest in trying it out.

There are two other members of this forum who have daughters wearing Spinecor, anyone wanting to know more, please pm me!

Laura