Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 7th September 2004, 10:22 AM
SSo Munchkin

I came across a reference to
Scoliosis Association of Australia
and thought I'd pass it on in case anyone is interested

There is also infromation about a Scoliosis survey being conducted at Queensland University of Technology
Australian scoliosis survey
Old 7th September 2004, 04:25 PM
OrangeD

Thanks Nutmeg!
I applied to be part of the survey, I don't know if it's still open.

Also had a quick look around the website. To me it looks like your traditional club but with a website tacked on. It's probably run by a couple of well meaning folk who hold meetings and do a spot of fundraising and send out printed literature to you for $10 a pop.

There are no links to other web support groups and nothing that takes advantage of the internet, like posting pictures or running a messageboard or even sending out info via email. I see it's based in Victoria which is local for me but it all reminds me of other scoliosis clubs run by little old ladies that I thought of joining but never did.

The only decent thing is the page that shows doctors in various Australian states which you can see here. The doctors Jessica* and I had are listed.

SSO wins hands down as a support forum and "rich multimedia experience" (with my marketing hat on). No wonder the kiddies love it.
Old 7th September 2004, 05:08 PM
OrangeL

"It's probably run by a couple of well meaning folk who hold meetings and do a spot of fundraising and send out printed literature to you for $10 a pop"
Remind you of anyone Pauline?
Old 7th September 2004, 05:21 PM
OrangeD

Ahem. *why don't we have a decent blushing smilie*
Well at least Pauline looks like she knows her way around the internet. She's getting down with the kiddies; she's speaking their lingo.
Soon she'll be wearing hipsters and talK1nG lyK dI5. She has a much better chance of connecting with today's yoof than that scoliosis association.
Old 7th September 2004, 07:15 PM
OrangeL

Hey, I think there might be one or two people here older than me here, mightn't there be, Ivan? Well Ivan?

Sinead, sounds like a scarey destiny to be working towards, doesn't it? :shock: From Ivan's neat summary of what most associations do, we'll know exactly what not to do....
Old 7th September 2004, 08:54 PM
OrangeL

I feel like I need to get a blue rinse into my hair and knit something!!
But I'd anticipate that our association's website might meet with Ivan's approval.
If it doesn't he'd better start running fast.......think Shrek2 and the angry mob with torches and Pikes!!
Old 7th September 2004, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link guys. I've passed it on to a friend on another support group who is in Oz but is having to fly to the UK to see our consultant as she can't find a surgeon willing to cast her daughter in australia. There is a case study on the site you mention, but unfortunately the child is casted in the UK, so wasn't of any help. If you know of anyone who might be worth approaching in Australia please let me know (long shot I know). So far, all she has come across is the attitude that infantile scoli doesn't exist outside of the UK!
Mum to Erin, 10, diagnosed with 62 degree curve in May 04, aged 21 months. Serial casting '04-'07. Growth rods inserted June '08 under Mr Tucker at RNOH, Stanmore, UK. Surgery October '11 to replace a broken rod.
Old 8th September 2004, 05:37 PM
OrangeD

Hey you guys are spring chickens.
I was referring to a scoli 'club' I almost joined back in 1993 before I went to the UK.
No doubt you were still in nappies back then.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more Aussie sites but I'm not sure that casting for infants is used here. It's worth sending an email to the website to see if you get a reply. The UK has a larger population hence a wider choice of treatments and more doctors to choose from.
Old 9th September 2004, 07:44 AM
OrangeL

I haven't been able to find anything on casting for infants here in Aussie Land either .. but that's not to say that no one does it. If anyone does find anything could you let us know here in this thread or something? It would be great to have that in my research. =)

Also, it was nice to see my doctor's name in that list, too! for Mr. Ian Torode.
Old 9th September 2004, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

The woman I've been speaking to is having her daughter's case discussed by the scoli association in australia to see if anyone is willing to cast children under the instruction of Min Mehta (which seems to be the way that it was introduced to some hospitals in the US). I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Mum to Erin, 10, diagnosed with 62 degree curve in May 04, aged 21 months. Serial casting '04-'07. Growth rods inserted June '08 under Mr Tucker at RNOH, Stanmore, UK. Surgery October '11 to replace a broken rod.
Old 9th September 2004, 12:45 PM
OrangeL

My new consultant Mr Mark Dolan spent some time in Australia.If I get a chance I'll ask him if he knows of anyone who does it.I'll be seeing him next week.
Sins