Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 5th February 2007, 01:56 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi everyone,

Here are some useful exercises for those people lucky enough to have access to a swimming pool or even a hydrotherapy pool

The pool exercises are similar to the exercises in this thread on core stabilising exercises.

It's quite easy to adapt them so you can do them in a pool, but you need to either have a bar along one side of the pool to hold onto, wear a floaty vest or dangle from a foam "woggle" in the middle of the pool.

Water woggles

It's very important to engage your core stability muscles whilst you do the exercises: pull in your pelvic floors (as though you are stopping yourself in the middle of having a pee!) and pull your tummy muscles in at the same time.

In the shallow end of the pool, do some gentle stretches to warm up, and then do 20 reps each of basic lunges and squats. Then put on a floaty vest or wrap a woggle around yourself and go down into the deep end so you are out of your depth.

Whilst holding onto the side of the pool, or using a floatation aid in the middle of the pool, draw your knees up so you are in a sitting position, then slowly your legs from side to side, twisting at the hips/waist. Do this 20 times.

Drop your legs down in front of you and then slowly draw your legs up into a sitting position, and slowly lower them into a standing position again. Repeat this 20 times.

Then, with your legs hanging down straight in front of you, slowly scissor your legs out to the sides and back again. Try to concentrate on keeping the rest of your body still whilst you do this - it's not easy! When you have done this 20 times, switch to scissoring your legs back and forth, again really slowly.

You can do variations on all of these exercises, but the most important thing is that you keep things slow and under control and maintain engagement of your core stabilising muscles. Try to gradually increase the amount you can stretch your legs out - after a couple of weeks you will notice a difference

Have fun!
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 7th February 2007, 07:19 PM
OrangeL

Send a message via MSN to MOB

"Whilst holding onto the side of the pool, or using a floatation aid in the middle of the pool, draw your knees up so you are in a sitting position, then slowly your legs from side to side, twisting at the hips/waist. Do this 20 times."

Toni i did six sessions of hydrotherapy before christmas i found it very beneficial i did the exercise above plus holding on to the woggle with woggle behind me i did cycling in the pool for about 10 mins. I was in the pool for an hour in total. Prior to and after exercises i had to walk back and forth in the pool a couple of times. Also with Hydrotherapy remember to drink plenty of fluids afterwards.
Old 17th March 2007, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Toni and Mob- Did you get a hospital or GP referral to do this hydrotherapy? I have always wanted to try it here in Arlington Virginia but don't know how to go about it. I can't swim but I really want to exercise in the pool.

Does anybody from the USA do this and how did you get on a hydrotherapy program??
Old 17th March 2007, 09:20 AM

My hospital has a beautiful hydrotherapy pool, which hospital patients can use - I just had to get a form signed by my doctor to say he recommended it. I buy a swim card for 25 pounds which gives me ten swims there, and I can renew it when it runs out.

I made friends with the ladies I was on the Functional Restoration Programme with last summer and whenever I go to Oswestry we meet up and go swimming
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 17th March 2007, 11:00 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Hey, Toni!

I've finally been referred for physio at the Hallamshire (cos it's nearer than the Northern General where I had my surgery), and I was wondering - do they have a pool there and do you think it might form part of my therapy? Also, can you remember any particularly good physios I should look out for, or were you just at the pain clinic?

OOPs, just did a little hijacking there, sorry!!
Old 17th March 2007, 12:20 PM

Oooh! I did have physio at the Hallamshire too, referred by the Pain Clinic - look out for my old physio Paul, he's really nice

As far as I know they don't have a pool, but they do have a gym which you'll probably be allowed to use.
Old 17th March 2007, 09:00 PM
OrangeL

Send a message via MSN to MOB

The physiotherapy dept at the hospital i attend here in Dublin referred me to hydrotherapy for six sessions.
Old 22nd April 2007, 02:44 PM
RedL

Hydrotherapy was the first physio I was given post-op. I was NHS but to cut down on waiting lists, transferred to my surgeon's private hospital, so I had access to the hydrotherapy pool at the Nuffield Hospital I was at.

It really did help, A LOT, especially considering I started having weekly sessions only about 3 weeks after my op. It was nice to be able to stand up without feeling weak; the water holds you up really well.

Gradually I built up to some stretching and stuff, and went for about 4 months or something.

I might start doing some again in the pool at my college cause it really does help.

Thanks for that link tonibunny

x