Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 20th September 2005, 03:21 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi everyone,

I got given some Thera-bands by my physiotherapist, and am finding them a great help with my stretching and strengthening exercises. Thera-bands are like long elastic bands, which come in different thicknesses according to how much resistance you need; you can find more info about them here.

I found that using the bands helps prevent you from jerking or making sudden movements during exercise, which could cause a lot of pain and could potentially damage a fused spine. Instead, they provide gentle resistance which helps you to do exercises slowly and smoothly.

One of the best exercises I've found is this one - it really feels good to stretch out crunched-up oblique muscles that have been squished by a lumbar curve

There are all sorts of exercises that you can do with these bands, I really recommend them!

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 20th September 2005, 03:25 PM
SSO Brat! <3

Send a message via AIM to Kayla

I have used them before, but the therapist I have now only has latex ones, so she is ordering non latex ones. They are pretty handy instead of just using weights.
Old 20th September 2005, 03:30 PM
RedL

Oh yes i used them ages ago for something other than scoliosis they were really good
Old 21st September 2005, 05:40 PM
OrangeL

Send a message via MSN to nuttynatalie

Ooooh my sister uses them for and practicing her irish dancing - will habve to give those a try!
Old 21st September 2005, 08:07 PM
RedL

Erm... how do you use them for irish dancing? sounds interesting