Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 2nd August 2014, 08:35 PM

Default Magnetic Rods/Delay in getting surgery and associated risks/complicatins

Hi everybody,
My daughter who is 12 shortly is on a waiting list for magnetic growing rods at Crumlin Hospital and we have being informed that her curvature is now at 74 degrees.

Due to long waiting lists at the hospital her surgery could be delayed till November/December 14 or later.

Can anyone explain to us the risks/complications associated with this delay. Any information would be very much appreciated.

We are now considering getting a second opinion from Dr. Noordeen and costs associated with getting surgery done in the UK.

Also has anyone had surgery done by Dr. Noordeen for growing rods?

Any advice is most appreciated.
Lorraine
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Magnetic Rods/Delay in getting surgery and associated risks/complicatins

Hi Lorraine,

I dont know anything about that Magnetic rods im afraid, but from what i have heard and kind of remember (memory is terrible) about Mr Noordeen is that he is a respected surgeon and a few people on here are under his care from what i remember, hopefully they'll come around soon and give you some advice.

All the best,
Jay
Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Magnetic Rods/Delay in getting surgery and associated risks/complicatins

Jay, sincere thanks for your reply. Lorraine