Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 14th July 2014, 09:03 PM

Default Back brace after spinal fusion

I had spinal fusion at Stanmore two weeks ago. I don't know exactly what was done because all I have been told is that the did more so the first stage and so don't need to do the second stage.
My problem is the back brace. I can't put it on or get it off by myself. I am 65, live alone and will not have anyone there to help me with it. The carers will come in for 6 weeks, but they won't be there at 4 in the morning when I need to get up to go to the loo. Everyone here at RNOH seems to think I just need practice, but it haven't the strength in my arms or the flexibility in my shoulders to put the thing on and tighten the straps. Has anyone else solved this problem?
Old 14th July 2014, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Back brace after spinal fusion

Hello and welcome! In my honest opinion, not knowing what you have done, it won't matter much if you dont wear it for that amount of time, as all its there to do, is to stop you from bending and twisting these days. Most people wont have a brace these days after it, but some surgeons will still recommend having one. But i have to agree, putting something on like a button down shirt was hard enough to put on let alone a heavy brace! You could get onto your surgeon and see if the 5 mins without it on will do any harm, which i doubt it will, but it's still good to check and make sure.

Hope this has helped.
Jay
Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14
Old 15th July 2014, 12:11 AM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

Default Re: Back brace after spinal fusion

Hi
I really struggled after 2 stage surgey with my brace.
After a few weeks at home, I found a way to get it on rolling in to it but couldn't tighten the shoulder straps.
As much as my hubby was great and in the middle of the night I would wake him to go to the loo, I swear if u know you can't go to the loo you want to even more haha!!!
I was a bit naughty and only purely for toilet night breaks would sleep with the corset laid flat undone under me, which I could fasten myself in the night to get up and undo when back in bed.
Hope your recovery is going well, it does get easier
Kerry x