Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 8th July 2014, 12:38 PM

Default shoes and heel lifts

Hi everyone,

I have been referred to orthotics department of my hospital to have heel lifts in my shoes as I have a 9mm leg length discrepancy, to even my pelvis out.

Problem is I only wear flip flops or flip flop slippers or preferably barefoot..... so I don't actually have any shoes to put the heel lifts in (I know, I'm a girl and I don't have loads of shoes - I am weird).

I went in to my local cobblers and had a 1cm sole added to 2 of my left flip flops and that has helped.

My reason for posting is to ask if anyone can recommend good comfy shoes, and if any of you wear heel lifts and how you get on with them. I know it won't be so bad in winter when I can put them in boots (I have lots of them) but in the summer I don't know what the alternative is to flip flops.

Thanks!
Old 9th July 2014, 09:54 AM

Default Re: shoes and heel lifts

hi lucy i too have one leg mildly longer than the other ,i had a heel lift as a teenager, you dont know they are there ,mine were only small ,i had mine in trainers etc, i might not be right in saying this so please anyone correct me if im wrong ,i was told flip flops are not good when you have a bad back,my pysio has always told me to wear proper decent comfy shoes (heels are history now lol).
Old 10th July 2014, 11:59 AM

Hi Lisa-Lou, i think u are right, I shouldn't be wearing flip flops, so if u can recommend comfy shoes please tell me. Although I am wearing fit flops that are supposed to help u walk properly..... But I still look like a stooped John Wayne LOL!
Old 14th July 2014, 05:02 PM

I use Hotters shoes with custom Orthotics rather than the standard NHS ones ... these were measured in the UK but actually made for me in Canada and cost 150 - they make a huge difference to my walking and reduce foot pain a lot .. for me anyway
Old 14th July 2014, 05:17 PM

Thanks Paul, I'll google them now