Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 3rd July 2014, 03:42 PM

Default special clothes for deformitys

hi does anyone know where i can buy special clothes to hide my deformitys
Old 3rd July 2014, 03:55 PM

Default Re: special clothes for deformitys

theres nothing out there that is 'special' to hid things, most just buy things that are several sizes bigger than they need.
https://twitter.com/Scoli_JayJay
Old 3rd July 2014, 04:05 PM

hi jaymoe maybe i will buy bigger size clothes,
Old 3rd July 2014, 04:36 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

There aren't any manufacturers of clothes specifically for spinal deformity patients, and I would imagine this is because everybody's case is highly individual. All our curves are different! If this bothers you, your best option would probably be to get a dressmaker to tailor you something to fit perfectly or adapt your existing clothes so they fit better.

If you are a wheelchair user though, there are a number of sites which sell really nice clothes that are cut specially with wheelchair use in mind. I've just had a look at some, and found this great trenchcoat (link) which is on sale for 25 instead of 110, if anyone is interested!
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 3rd July 2014, 06:53 PM

Hi,

I found it was quite a treasurehunt. Layering can really helped. Finding light waterfall cardigans and beautiful scarves to drape around and camouflage differences. Plain top's with eye catching pants/skirts in a variety of patterns can draw attention away from any curves towards legs. The same for eye catching jewellery and fun shoes.

Ange
Old 8th July 2014, 10:39 AM

Hi, I spent hours looking online for suitable clothing to hide my shape, as Toni says there are some for wheel chair users, but in the end I just got bigger sizes. There's obviously a gap in the market, perhaps we should form our own company and go on Dragons Den with our scoliosis fashion range LOL!