Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 25th June 2014, 09:52 PM

Default Curving again?

Hi guys

So I'm fused from T10 to L3 and after surgery my spine looked very straight from top to bottom. Now I've been looking at my back and where my spine is not fused, below the rod so at the bottom of my spine, it looks like it's curving quite a bit. I showed my mum and she agrees with this especially after seeing a picture of my spine a few months post surgery next to a picture of it now. I'm a little worried about it. I can't clarify if it really is curving because I've not had an x ray since April and everything looked fine. I'm just wondering what I should do? Is this possible, have any of you experienced this? Any replies would be great thanks!
Old 25th June 2014, 10:20 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Curving again?

It's not something I've experienced myself because I have such a long fusion that there's not much left to curve, but sadly it can happen. If you are worried I would suggest contacting your surgeon (usually via his secretary) to ask for advice. It might be that he asks you to go for an X-ray to check although it will probably depend on how long it is since your surgery (sorry, I can never remember everyone's dates )
Old 26th June 2014, 07:49 AM

Hi,

I'm only fused to l1. I have something similar happpen the bottom curve increased after surgery and it seemed to of increased more. Some people say I started to walk witha slight limp. Also havent had xrays since. When I asked everyone a few months ago when it showes up on xray they said that it sometomes increases slightly in the unfused segments.

Ange
Old 26th June 2014, 10:30 AM

Hi gillyg I had surgery 7 months ago. My mum is going to phone today and ask about it. Thank you for replying, it's helped out a lot!

Hi Ange yeah hopefully it just stays this way instead of increasing more. Thank you for replying! It's helped a lot
Old 27th June 2014, 03:29 AM

Let us know how it goes. I wouldn't think it would be severe or painful enough to need a second surgery. My curve actually starts three vertebrae down from where we started the fuse but I would have been completely fused so my surgeon and I decided to go with a bit more flexibility.

Good luck!
Old 27th June 2014, 04:43 PM

Thank you CurvyCat, I will! Yeah I still get some pain but I did have surgery only 7 months ago so I don't think a new curve would be the problem it's very difficult to tell if it's curving or not just by looking at it without an x ray as where I think the curve is, is at the bottom of my spine and you can't really see your spine there unless you bend over but you still can't see it clearly. If I'm right, I think the new curve is at the end of the fusion, maybe L1 and L2 and then L3 and L4 but it's just a guess.

Is it possible for your spine to curve at parts where it's fused or fusing? Not sure if these details are important to getting this answer but I had surgery 7 months ago and the last time I saw my surgeon was in April and he said everything looked good. Could it curve that quickly? Sorry for all the questions
Old 27th June 2014, 05:03 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Fusions do "settle a bit" whilst you are fusing, so patients often notice a small decrease in the correction of their curves, but once fused they ought to stay in place. A large loss of correction is a cause for concern, but a small amount is normal.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 27th June 2014, 05:06 PM

Thank you for clearing that up! I think the best thing for me is to phone my spinal liasion nurse, see what she thinks and probably get an x ray just to make sure everything is still ok!