Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 24th June 2014, 05:45 AM

Default Vertigo post-op?

Hey Everyone,

To those who've had fusion - did any of you suffer from severe vertigo during recovery? I'm currently in hospital with serious nausea and the whole eye-flicking vertigo bit. I can't sit up or stand at all. I can barely move my head. It's been 3 days now. Doctors are treating my symptons but other than ruling out a brain issue, they don't know the cause. I'm curious to know if anyone has had something similar during recovery and if so, was it tied to their surgery?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.
Old 24th June 2014, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Vertigo post-op?

Hi K,
I'm so sorry your situation sounds alwful. I never had anything as severe as your symptoms but after surgery till now whenever I stand I get dizzy have to wait a minutes for the spots to clear. Also get more headaches.

Hoping u feel better and they can get to the bottom of it

Ange
Old 24th June 2014, 07:31 AM

Hi Kay

Yes, exactly the same thing happened to me about 3 weeks post op I got readmitted with severe vertigo for a week. Like you for the first 5 days or so I was unable to get up at all and had a spinal and head MRI which were both ok. Mr Tucker got one of the spinal injury consultants to see me and she did the tests for benign positional vertigo on me which seemed to improve things to the extent I could get up, although did take longer to settle completely.
The conclusion was it was probably due to me lying in theatre head down for so many hours and dislodged little crystals in my middle ear.

I hope you feel better soon vertigo is so horrible - I felt much sicker than after my spinal surgery and it is hard getting used to a new posture, being in a brace and having to manage this.
Old 25th June 2014, 04:02 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Yes, Kay

Before surgery and after surgery.

Before surgery in 1992 at age 34, I had several SEVERE 30 minute attacks over 6 weeks, (laying down on floor with room rocking back and forth), had around 6 of these attacks, and the doctors told me it was viral. Labyrinthitis. They told me that it happens to people usually once in their lifetime and generally after these attacks, they don’t usually happen again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis

After surgery, at around 2 months post and med free, I had the vertigo hit again and would lay down and try to fall asleep.

Both times it did pass....

I have no idea why the second set occurred, I thought that it might have had something to do with the medications and the inner ear.

I have also had minor “dizzy” spells since surgery, but each time would make attempts to go to sleep....my cure all.

Try to hang in there Kay, I know its hard but it will go away soon.....

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008
Old 25th June 2014, 08:49 AM
SSo Munchkin

Hi Kay

I was acutally listening to a radio programme all about dizziness on Monday evening. What you describe does sound like the benign positional vertigo which Countrygirl described.
Here is a link to the transcript in case it is any help.
http://http://www.abc.net.au/radiona...896#transcript
The relevant section is near the end.

This link goes to an MP3 recording of the programme
http://http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/r...40623_1730.mp3
but I'm not sure if that will work outside Australia
Old 25th June 2014, 07:33 PM

I had it pretty bad from the moment I woke up from surgery and it lasted 9 or 10 days. Very scary at the time my right eye kept wandering to the side on its own. I was also super nauseous whenever I looked down the hall or out the window. If I did I would instantly need to throw up. Everything went back to normal though but just took a few days. My doctor thought it was due to being face down in surgery for so many hours
Old 25th June 2014, 09:40 PM

I had awful vertigo but not until 4 weeks post op. We found it was due to a discontinuation of medications and starting up my narcolepsy medication again. Best of luck!
Old 26th June 2014, 09:55 AM
Mod with a rod (or two)

I couldn't go on an esculator for ages post op, I swayed and felt sick and swayed for a long time

Mark's a groovin an a movin
Old 29th June 2014, 01:58 AM

Hi All, thanks for all the feedback..Yep, Nutmeg, they tenatively diagnosed me with BPPV though unfortunately it didn't respond to the treatment for that and it's now affecting both ears. On the plus side, the actual vertigo spinning sensation is pretty minimal now but I'm still extremely dizzy. I walk like I'm drunk and it feels everything is on a slanted foundation. The prognosis now is 'hypo-functional vestibular system' and they say it will take a few weeks of doing head movement exercises to get my brain to behave again. So there should be a happy ending to all of this, just wish it could be tomorrow!

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:55 AM

Hi Kay, glad you got a diagnosis and I hope it sorts itself out very quickly for you. As you know my dizzy spells are thought to be caused by my meds, but as some one mentioned we were face down on the table for hours, it's no wonder we are all a bit internally battered and bruised! fingers crossed it goes away quickly and you feel better soon x