Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 21st June 2014, 09:55 PM
Tougher than Titanium!

Default 2 years later...

I'm so glad that I'm able to type out this post. Today is exactly 2 years since my fusion and I can't describe the feeling of accomplishment I feel right now. It's amazing knowing that my life is forever changed and though it's not perfect, it's definitely better than it could have been! Thinking about it, if I never had my surgery, my life would be turned upside down...I may not even be here. I would like to give a huge thank you to all of you who were around before and right after my fusion- your advice and encouragement made me very, very prepared for the road ahead. I used to feel like no one would ever understand me, then I found y'all and everything changed. Though I still have my bad days, I always remind myself that it could be worse...because it really could be- if I wasn't fused, my curve would be around 150+ degrees so I'm so blessed to be here today! So, I try to enjoy the little things in life before they're taken from me. I wanted to let y'all know how I'm doing and I'm so sorry I'm not on more during the school year; only 2 more years!! The last appointment I had with Dr.Chutkan was also his last day in Georgia, so I have been referred to the Head of Pediatric Ortho Surgeon. The next appointment I'll have will be before I go off to college unless an emergency arises to cut down on the radiation. I just really wanted to let all of you know how everything is going and let you know that I haven't disappeared or anything! I hope all is well for everyone! Just remember to keep fighting
Jenny
Diagnosed with a 75 degree Scheuermann's kyphosis curve in 2010. After numerous doctor visits and a few years later, my curve had developed into one measuring 95 degrees. I had my spinal fusion done June 21, 2012 at the Children's Hospital of Georgia by Norman Chutkan in Augusta, GA.I'm now fused from T5 to L3.
Follow me on twitter... @JustBeing_Jenny
Old 22nd June 2014, 04:23 AM

Default Re: 2 years later...

Jenny,
Very upifting to hear you so positive! So happy your doing so well, God Bless and keep be so positive, it contagious and WONDERFUL! !!!!!!!
Old 22nd June 2014, 08:27 AM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

So happy for you! Congratulations & keep enjoying your new life
Kerry x
Old 22nd June 2014, 10:49 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Ah Jenny, it's so good to hear you are doing so well
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:51 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Gosh that two years have flown! it's great to hear from you Jenny, I'm glad you're doing so well
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 22nd June 2014, 02:24 PM
Tougher than Titanium!

It really has flown by!! Thank y'all! I hope you guys are doing well
Diagnosed with a 75 degree Scheuermann's kyphosis curve in 2010. After numerous doctor visits and a few years later, my curve had developed into one measuring 95 degrees. I had my spinal fusion done June 21, 2012 at the Children's Hospital of Georgia by Norman Chutkan in Augusta, GA.I'm now fused from T5 to L3.
Follow me on twitter... @JustBeing_Jenny
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:01 PM

So glad you are doing well! Always feels good to read a success story!

Ange
Old 8th July 2014, 12:30 PM

Hi Jenny, just wanted to say I loved reading your post, it is so positive and it is great for us newbies who have only just had surgery to find out what it's like 2 years on and what happened to those who had the surgery before us. Thanks for posting an for letting me know that all this trauma and stress is worth it