Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 20th June 2014, 03:13 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Mr Tucker resigning from Stanmore! :-(

Oh Burdle I can see why you are so worried. Hopefully you will be able to insist on seeing Mr Tucker (if only briefly) on 9th July and put this question to him - if he isn't around to operate on you, who could? If you see one of his team, make them go and ask him there and then if they won't let you see him. You need answers and it wouldn't take him more than a minute to provide them.

Luckily you can now insist on seeing any consultant in the country. In the absence of Mr Tucker, I would be confident in Mr Cole or Mr Grevitt. Mr Davies in Southampton is pretty willing to take on difficult cases and do innovative stuff but I don't know whether he does surgeries in adults. Bluestone's surgeon Mr Ahmed at Stoke sounds like a great chap too.

The NHS is in a mess right now, and even the surgeons are getting very frustrated because of funding cuts. I was talking to Jan Lehovsky's old SHO last week and he said that a lot of his colleagues are getting out of the NHS as it has become so difficult to work within it. Many surgeons do genuinely care though; this is something that has been very apparent in the Complex Spinal Surgery group that myself and Gilly belong to (we have monthly meetings with them, and the group also includes scoliosis surgeons from around the country). More than once I have heard them say " look, if this was your family member, how would you want them to be treated?". I will feed back at the next meeting that there is a worry amongst the patient base that adults are not able to access surgeries that they need due to an apparent lack of expertise or willingness to take cases on, and see what they say. In my experience they have been very very good at actually listening to us as patient reps rather than fobbing us off.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 20th June 2014, 03:38 PM
OrangeL

Hi Toni,

thanks for feedback- could you ask at one of the meetings about insurance funding. I can't see how Mr T would have private patients unless they had insurance behind them.

Is it their feeling that the surgery is/should be funded and will continue to be funded?
Old 20th June 2014, 03:42 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestone View Post
I really feel for you Bernadette, its must be such a stressful time for you
I feel as though I've been very fortunate-its a shame Mr Ahmed isn't near you xx
That's sweet of you , Sarah- I know you have been through such a lot that to think you are fortunate is a very kind thing to say.

I am a bit worried - I shall see at my next appointment. I am just not sure how I will deal with someone different saying that maybe I don't need surgery, because how will I know that he is not saying it because of cuts etc?
Old 20th June 2014, 03:45 PM

As far as I can tell, the surgeons in the group all seem to wish fervently that everyone who needs surgery gets it on the NHS.

Mr T has plenty of kids and teens who see him privately. I really don't think he'll be hard up for patients. I managed to get insurance funding for my XLIF/pedicle screw fusion extension surgery with him a few years back, too.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 20th June 2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdle View Post

I am a bit worried - I shall see at my next appointment. I am just not sure how I will deal with someone different saying that maybe I don't need surgery, because how will I know that he is not saying it because of cuts etc?
It should still be Mr Tucker's clinic on 9th July. Take a deep breath and make it clear to whoever you see (if you don't get to see him) that Mr Tucker has told you that he was prepared to do this surgery because in his opinion you need it
Old 21st June 2014, 11:18 AM
OrangeL

Hi,

That's really sad that Mr Tucker is leaving the team. Can I recommend Mr Molloy? He has been my consultant and although in my case we agreed surgery is too risky I have heard he is an excellent surgeon and he has a wonderful bed side manner. He has always been really encouraging, has taken time to explain things to me and been really reassuring - maybe you could be transferred on to his list?

love Karenxxx
Old 21st June 2014, 11:59 PM
SSO Groupie!

Whaaaaaaaaaat?! He's the reason I transferred to Stanmore. I previously had surgery by Mr. Fairbank at the JR and Nuffield but didn't agree with this treatment of me.
Born 1981 with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele. Surgery to close lesion at birth. Anterior fusion T11-L5 aged 12. Laminectomy June 06. Posterior fusion with instrumenation T8-T11. Degenerative Disc C4/C5

Waiting for VP Shunt surgery. Under the care of Mr. Tucker who wants to fuse me T2-pelvis!
Old 22nd June 2014, 08:24 AM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
As far as I can tell, the surgeons in the group all seem to wish fervently that everyone who needs surgery gets it on the NHS.
From my experience I agree.
When I saw Mr Lehovsky privately (paid for a private consultation whilst I waited for NHS appointment to come through) he was very open & reassuring to ensure I went down the NHS route & not private (I didn't have health care insurance) he gave approx costs & said even (in a non judgement way) if we could afford it and raise the money through my family to go private he wouldn't take the money when I can have exactly the same treatment same surgeon him and his team, same anaesthetis etc, only difference would be & was the ward I would be one, but given the staff are all fantastic I don't really see that being a concern.

Kerry x
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:40 AM
OrangeL

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the surgeons in the group all seem to wish fervently that everyone who needs surgery gets it on the NHS

So why is he stopping doing Adult Surgery on the NHS?
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:18 PM

I've no idea, sorry He's not a member of the group - we have one consultant surgeon from each geographical area of England, and Matthew Shaw represents Stanmore/NW London.
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:36 PM
OrangeL

Oh I see - my mistake- I sort of assumed that he was.

Does anyone know anything about Matthew Shaw? How do consultant teams work? If I see a member of Mr T's team in a couple of weeks and then he leaves will they automatically get a new team leader and do they consult with other consultants in the same field? It would be useful to know.
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:10 PM

Sorry I have no idea Burdle, but I'm going to raise this issue at our next meeting. It is definitely the sort of thing we should be feeding back to the surgeons. NB not all surgeons in the group make it to the meeting as they may have surgeries scheduled instead, but Mr Cole is usually there as he is the chairman.i

I know that you'll get transferred to a different surgeon, but that's all. Wasn't Mr Shaw Tiff's surgeon?
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:33 PM

I'm sure Tiff had Mr Gibson as a surgeon Toni.
https://twitter.com/Scoli_JayJay
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:48 PM

So she did sorry. It's to difficult to remember who had surgery with who, even im the cases of my good friends!
Old 23rd June 2014, 05:07 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Assuming Stanmore works in the same way as the Sheffield Teaching hospitals, whichever surgeon you are actually under, your case will be discussed by the whole team.