Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 19th June 2014, 05:16 PM

Default Mr Tucker resigning from Stanmore! :-(

Hi everyone

Just a update as some of you may know I saw Mr Tucker privately in March and then got a GP referral to see him further on NHS in Stanmore...I cant believe after 5 months of waiting for a appointment today I rang after receiving my app letter through the post to be told Mr Tucker may not be able to see me it maybe one of his fellows as he is leaving end of Aug.

As some of you know as I have a large rib hump Mr Tucker was my only hope as he has been the only surgeon who said he MAY be able to do further surgery on this.

I was also told he is not transferring to any other practise and will only be working at GOSH ( so children only) and privately.

Words cant describe how frustrated I feel
Old 19th June 2014, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Mr Tucker resigning from Stanmore! :-(

So sorry to hear that. Try and stay positive. Do you know who you will see instead?
Old 19th June 2014, 05:26 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Oh no! That is a blow for adult scoliosis patients still we have some other awesome surgeons. Natasha, who else have you seen previously to seeing Mr Tucker?
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 19th June 2014, 05:29 PM

Hi

Thankyou
No they just said another surgeon at Stanmore but Mr Tucker said to me in March, it would be a risky operation but he thinks he maybe able to do something but would have to look into it further...he is the only surgeon who has said that 2 others have said nothing can be done so now this could be it as the surgeon I could see may just say the same as the others
Old 19th June 2014, 05:35 PM

Tonibunny, I know cant believe it.

I previously had surgery at John Radcliffe/Nuffield with Mr Fairbank age 16, who wont perfom anymore surgery and Dr Wilson Mcdonald said the same.

Which is when you and other memebers advised me to see Mr Tucker private which I did in March and her said to get GP referral to Stanmore which has taken 5 months to get a app and now this...I was put through to the spinal manager who said he does not go until end of Aug and as my app is in July I may well be seen by him but he cant gurantee it.
Old 19th June 2014, 08:04 PM

I would go to that appt anyway Natasha, and ask to see him. If you see one of his team, get them to go and ask him about your case as you need his expert opinion. Even if he leaves before you could get to have surgery with him, you need that opinion from him as he may be able to recommend a colleague who could do whatever he proposes to do (if there is anything).

With Mr Tucker going private-only, the best choices in my opinion are Mr Cole in Sheffield and possibly Mr Grevitt in Nottingham. I honestly don't know who else at Stanmore would be good at complex adult revision cases. They're all excellent at scoliosis in teens, but the older surgeons tend to be more cautious than the younger ones, and the younger ones don't have years of expertise.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 19th June 2014, 11:00 PM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

Hi
Sorry to hear this, from my personal experience I would recommend Mr Lehovsky,
I had a huge rib hump which I never thought could be improved.
Hopefully you will still get to see Mr Tucker but if not I've only heard great things about the other surgeons based @ Stanmore
Kerry xx
Old 20th June 2014, 12:47 PM

Oh no! Hi every body I'm new to SS. My daughter who was diagnosed about 6 months ago was advised to seek a second opinion from Mr. Tucker She is 12 and a fantastic dancer, we are so worried if she has surgery her flexibility will be greatly reduced as will the ability to rotate. We are expecting her boston brace to arrive any time! Her curves are 55* upper and 45* lower. x
Old 20th June 2014, 01:06 PM

Hi Andrea, welcome!

Can your daughter get referred to Mr Tucker at Great Ormond Street Hospital? Since she's only 12 he may see her. I'm not sure if he's concentrating on the Infantile/Juvenile kids though, and at 12 your daughter would most likely be classified as having Adolescent scoliosis. Alternatively if you just need his opinion, you could go private for just the one consultation - quite a few people do this and they find it very helpful.

Otherwise, Jan Lehovsky, Hilali Noordeen and Matthew Shaw are all excellent surgeons at the RNOH at Stanmore.

Toni xx
Old 20th June 2014, 01:12 PM

Thank you Toni, that would be an option yes. We're feeling a bit bamboozled by everything! It really isn't affecting her at all at the moment other than one of her shoulder blades protrudes, I just hope the brace helps to de-rotate the spine a little. x
Old 20th June 2014, 01:22 PM

Who is she being treated by at the moment? Fingers crossed the brace does its job x
Old 20th June 2014, 01:45 PM
OrangeL

Oh no- have just transferred to Nr Tucker's NHS list and my appointment last week was cancelled and my new one is 9 July. I was hoping to just pick up where I left off privately. Who is good for first time surgery in London?

I don't understand why he is just going to be private because a lot of Insurance companies will not pay for Scoliosis treatment so surely gradually he will lose adult expertise.

Also and I am going to throw this out there ... I do not think that they should be allowed to do this- fine if you want to retire then retire but I think that if you are going to practice then it should be part NHS at least - even if you want to reduce your work load. After all they are trained and funded by the NHS originally. A bit political I know...
Old 20th June 2014, 02:05 PM

He's still doing NHS work Burdle, just he'll be concentrating on younger children's cases. It sucks for the adults, but there are quite a few NHS consultants who don't do adult scoliosis surgeries at all.

I agree that doctors who have taken advantage of training at medical schools and NHS hospitals in the UK (having had financial support from the government or the NHS) should have to devote time to NHS work for the rest of their UK-based careers. Some could argue that certain surgeons have worked in the NHS for 20+ years so are entitled to move over to purely private work if they want, but this means that the most experienced and skilled surgeons are then not available to the majority of people.

It *is* a political issue but I'm not sure it wholly relates to Mr Tucker since he'll still be available for the most serious cases of infantile and juvenile scoliosis.
Old 20th June 2014, 02:47 PM
OrangeL

I'm staying political I know- but what other reason for not staying fully NHS and no private can there be other than the obvious?. Why not continue to perform NHS surgery on Adults and drop the private side?

The reason some NHS consultants don't do surgery on adults is because they either feel they don't have the fundamental expertise or because they don't feel it is going to work or it is because the funding for NHS won't allow it. In order to challenge the latter we have to see adult patients operated on successfully under the NHS.

If MR T has the belief and expertise that surgery is viable on adult patients then how is he going to make sure his beliefs and expertise are passed on if he just sees patients privately? Won't it become a dying art? Who will get adult surgery privately anyway- Insurance companies do everything they can to avoid funding adult scoliosis treatment.

If he sees adult patients privately and they can't get funding he will have to pass them to the NHS and then they will get rejected - how will he have any influence?.

I am really upset and worried. he promised me that he could operate on me even if I was 80. He said to wait until the pain got intolerable. I may be near that now.

What if I get rejected at my appointment on 9 July?
Old 20th June 2014, 03:08 PM
OrangeL

I really feel for you Bernadette, its must be such a stressful time for you
I feel as though I've been very fortunate-its a shame Mr Ahmed isn't near you xx
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight