Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 7th June 2014, 05:33 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Default Re: More surgery Thursday!

Wishing you the best Jay....and following close since I dodged ACDF surgery last year when my cervical herniationís became an issue.....

Stay strong, you will get through this.

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008
Old 7th June 2014, 09:17 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Wow Jay, another 8 hour surgery? Bet you're so glad it's all done now! The hip/leg issues should hopefully fully resolve - I had the same problems caused by nerve damage but thanks to Gabapentin the pain got under control and everything is totally resolved now
Old 7th June 2014, 10:19 AM

Yep, that's right Gilly, but I am happy its all out all out the way now can get on with my life now but yeah, its more of muscle issues rather than nerves but a bit of physio will help but I think I'll be on crutches for a bit as I was told there's a risk of fracture because of it all :S but my pain relief is working as I had about 6 different tablets this morning xD
https://twitter.com/Scoli_JayJay
Old 7th June 2014, 08:49 PM

Well everything is getting better, can now move my right leg without it hurting loads when I move it. Swallowing is getting better but it still hurts, also have an air mattress again so my back isn't sore and won't hurt due to the mega hard beds so I feel the mwds are getting into my system properly and so I'm getting on top of all the pain

Will update again when something significant happens
Old 8th June 2014, 10:02 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

You are doing brilliantly Jay
Old 8th June 2014, 08:33 PM

Yep, walked to the first bed in the bay, 2 beds down as I'm by the window, but sadly it made me sick, but not sure if it was that or a mixture of things. But I can feel my hip getting stronger everyday
Old 8th June 2014, 10:04 PM
SSO Triathlete

Great to read you're up and about.

Just noticed your question about the collapsed lung. When I had my fusion my lung collapsed again as they were bringing me round. Didn't find out at the time, only when I got my notes. I don't know if it's normal but it's certainly a risk.

Re the sick thing, don't forget that your organs get an absolute pummelling during surgery! Your stomach gets knocked out of position, when you first get back up and about everything settles back into its normal position and that, for me at least, caused a 5 minute episode worthy of The Exorcist. They'd just walked me to a wheelchair to take me to the shower, first time I'd been out of bed in ten days, so I was bang in the middle of the ward.

If I'd been capable I'd have taken a bow

Hope it sorts itself out quickly, remember you can ask for anti nausea meds if you're still a bit queasy. Have a peaceful night.
Old 8th June 2014, 11:30 PM

Can now nearly fully weight bare now but okay, it was just odd as the previous morning on ward I was fine. But I had IV anti sickness and I'm fine now but if I'm the same tomorrow I'll ask for them as they did wonders last time when I was in traction. But it all seems to be going well and hopefully I'll be out soon
Old 10th June 2014, 09:10 PM

well i came home today, and im feeling good. swallowing is lots better now and barely feel things going down. can weight bare on my hip, but not fully stable right now so have a crutch to help until then. but both wounds are sore though but i know that'll go down soon
Old 10th June 2014, 09:55 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Well done Jay! It's all behind you now.....you can concentrate on getting better from here on I hope you're not too sore, it is a miserable time but you're doing so well to keep so chipper. Don't be afraid to (metaphorically) slump if you need to though
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 11th June 2014, 05:25 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Jay, you are awesome. Just thought I'd tell you that Please take things steady now and let your body heal. It's high time you had some serious pampering!
Old 11th June 2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
Well done Jay! It's all behind you now.....you can concentrate on getting better from here on I hope you're not too sore, it is a miserable time but you're doing so well to keep so chipper. Don't be afraid to (metaphorically) slump if you need to though
Yeah it is thankfully and im now happy i took it now as i can now just recover from it all. but i am sore, particually my neck, as once again they were absolute b******s and only gave me 3 diazapam and no diclophenac (anit inflamitry) but am seeing the GP nurse on monday and this time i will deffo ask them for something for it as its getting me down because its so hard to cope with (so theres my slump) but thanks again for the continuous comfort and support through this all it really is appreciated
Old 11th June 2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
Jay, you are awesome. Just thought I'd tell you that Please take things steady now and let your body heal. It's high time you had some serious pampering!
Thanks Gilly , you and everyone here have been a massive help over the past 2 years or so, and im and HIGHLY grateful this place exists, as i dont know how i would have taken it all without it. But I will take things easy now, as i was everything to go well But i think so too shame i cant call particually loudly so my brother can come and get me things when i need
Old 15th June 2014, 02:21 PM

I just thought that i would share with you all my correction photo, pretty amazing!

Old 15th June 2014, 03:20 PM
AKA Titaniumed

It is amazing.....

Whenever we look at each others photos, we notice the similarities or differences in each others backs.....

Of course, I notice your scar running to your hairline at C5, I don’t think I have ever seen a long fusion connected to the neck before. There are a few that had neck surgeries 1st then long fusions, or visa versa but never connected like yours. I would say that’s extremely rare.

Your scar doesn’t look bad, keep an eye on it. We had a poster on NSF with open wounds post last week which is a sign of infection. Scars need to heal nicely, if not, we need to make that call.

You have done extremely well

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008