Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11th May 2014, 12:23 PM
Maddy's Mum

Default Three years on...hope for those facing surgery.

Hi everyone. Three years ago Maddy was about to go into hospital for halo traction then spinal fusion. We don't really think about scoliosis any more...yay! We have the normal teenage stresses not scoliosis ones: braces, school, HORMONES! She is 14 next month with curves in all the right places! She was skeletal after surgery and took ages to put on weight, but she did get there. She is 5"1' and 7 stone, nicely slim. I was initially disappointed with the way her back looked but now she has a layer of fat it looks a lot different. She has a small rib hump but it's not noticeable under clothes. It does annoy her sometimes when she is sitting in certain chairs but she never mentions it. She sails her topper every weekend and has no physical restrictions.

I am writing this to give hope to those awaiting surgery. Maddy had a significant deformity and now you would never know it. Life on the other side of surgery can be good.
Mum to Maddy aged 14. Maddy is a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital and had a growth rod inserted in November 2007. In March 2011 the growth rod was removed because the curve became too strong. In May 2011 Maddy had anterior release, 2 weeks traction on a Stryker Frame and then spinal fusion.
Old 11th May 2014, 01:03 PM
bionic, baby

Default Re: Three years on...hope for those facing surgery.

maddy's nearly 14?! when did that happen?!?
Diagnosed in March 2001 by family GP after my mum noticed an asymmetry in my spine. Referred to a consultant at the RNOH, Stanmore and started attending consultations for x-rays twice a year. Prescribed a TLSO brace to be worn 16 hours per day. Began with double major curves at approx 48 degrees. Offered surgery in 2003 aged 16 and declined to continue with school. Requested surgery in 2005 instead. Had T11-L3 fused on 16th July 2005 and haven't looked back! Released for all activities in March 2006, having been driving and riding horses with consultant's permission since 7 weeks post op.
Old 11th May 2014, 06:49 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Three years on...hope for those facing surgery.

Oh Rachie, it's so lovely to hear how Maddy is doing, she had such a difficult journey. And 14!!! She was just a little girl...