Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 18th June 2014, 10:54 AM

Default Blue Badge disabled parking

Hi peeps,

My local council have turned me down for a Blue Badge for parking in disabled spaces, my parents in their late 70's have been taking me to appointments and I thought it would make life so much easier for them and me if I got a Blue Badge, but apparently I am not disabled enough.

The letter says I don't qualify as I "don't have a permanent and substantial disability (ie a condition that is likely to last for the duration of a person's life) that means they have difficulty walking." and that "badges are not issued for recovery periods, only for conditions that are not going to improve".

I find this insane!! Anyone else been in this position?
Old 18th June 2014, 05:04 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Blue Badge disabled parking

Your local council probably don't understand if you have severe ongoing spinal problems, because most scoliosis patients rarely have longterm difficulties with walking before or after surgery. The council probably just looked the condition up and assumed that you're an ordinary case and therefore aren't eligible for the Blue Badge

You should apply again, or appeal if appeals are allowed, but send in evidence of having a permanent disability - a letter from your consultant or your GP supporting your application would help. Your LA may send you for an independent assessment if they don't approve your application after that.

It can be easier to apply for Disability Living Allowance because everyone who qualifies for Higher Rate Mobility automatically gets a Badge if they want one.

Good luck!

ETA sorry, Lucy - I just remembered that you had surgery just a three months ago. For DLA you need to have a longterm disability (that's considered to be something that will last at least six months without improving) and - if you can walk at all - be unable to walk further than 100 metres without severe discomfort. The Blue Badge is assessed by councils on similar grounds. I think there really should be a "short term" badge that can be issued for people who are recovering from complex spinal surgeries and severe leg breaks, who may not be eligible for the usual Blue Badge.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 19th June 2014, 11:47 AM

Hi Toni, hope you are ok? thanks for replying. I agree, they should have a short term blue badge scheme for recovery periods, as I have been to so many appointments since my surgery, for GP, surgeon, physio etc. And my poor elderly parents are carrying this walker in and out of the car for me and parking far away, I just feel bad for them - obviously I'm not driving at the mo so its not for me. I have applied for DLA (last November) and had an assessment a couple of weeks ago. So now waiting for the decision. Do many people on here receive higher rate disability allowance post op?
Old 19th June 2014, 12:13 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi Lucie, I'm doing well thanks no, I'm afraid that I've never known anyone to get Higher Rate Mobility post-op unless they already suffered from additional disabilities or had severe ongoing problems beforehand, because being unable to walk for an extended period during recovery from a typical scoliosis surgery is pretty rare.

There absolutely ought to be a short-term badge available. Also, certain parking spaces should be "wheelchair users only" where there is a limited amount of space for Blue Badge holders, for example near a hospital entrance, and there ought to always be a dedicated pickup/drop off area right by the entrance so the disabled person can be dropped off easily and their non-disabled driver can then go and park anywhere in the carpark.

If your parents also struggle to walk maybe they could apply for a Blue Badge in their own right? Over 65s can't get DLA (they get Attendance Allowance instead if they are disabled) but they can apply for a badge.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 19th June 2014, 11:07 PM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

Hi
Oh my god don't get me started on this subject!!
I had a huge argument, and kind of feel sorry for the woman who took my call at the council when I got a letter 4 weeks after coming home saying it wasn't a permanent disability so didn't qualify. She definitely got the brunt of me feeling rough & angry!!!
It's ridiculous!!
I applied in the hope that I'd get 1 so when I had to go to Bolsover St, London for my 6week check up we could go by car instead of bus train tube walk...
I even wrote to my local MP who agreed with the council...I had great joy recently when the various parties came knocking the door canvassing for votes of telling them my thoughts haha!!!
It's crazy, why they can't issue temporary ones is beyond me.