Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 21st May 2014, 08:38 PM

Default Introduction!

Hey, all! I'm Sally.

I guess I just kind of wanted to introduce myself. I was diagnosed with AIS at 13, but sadly was passed around doctor to doctor in my small hometown so I was never helped for the curvature, nor pain. I'm now 19 and married, which led to me moving to Colorado and to a much bigger city. I've had really extreme pain lately, so I decided to give a doctor visit one last try. I'm thankful I did, since I now have a surgery date coming up in October! My curvature is now 60 degrees (T) and 57 degrees (L) and I'm going to be fused from T4 - L4. I'm so nervous it's awful, but I'm really, really excited to finally get this taken care of. It's all I can see when I look in the mirror anymore.

I've never had much of an opportunity to talk with others who also have scoliosis, so I'm glad to have found this group!

Old 21st May 2014, 09:16 PM
Kara

Default Re: Introduction!

Welcome Sally I'm kara I'm 22 years old I had scoliosis surgery 4 years ago at 18 for a curve of 50 degrees and 27 degrees
Now it down to 20 degrees and 17 degrees
I'm fused from t4-l2
Foot Surgery Febaury 2015
Old 21st May 2014, 10:37 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi Sally, welcome to SSO!

I'm sorry to hear you have to have surgery, but please be assured that there are lots of us here who have been through it and are very happy with the results nerves are totally normal, of course - it is a big surgery - but we're here to help you through.

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 21st May 2014, 11:29 PM

Hi there and welcome,

Im the same age as you and I've just had the surgery myself and am pleased I had it done as i can already see positive changes

But as Toni has said, we're all here to help with all your worries and fears

Jay
Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:34 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Hi Sally

You've certainly come to the right place for support, as Toni says, there are loads of us here who know just what you're going through (and are about to go through ) and we'll help you every step of the way
Old 23rd May 2014, 03:02 AM

Thank you all! You're too sweet. As nervous as I am, I'm really not disappointed about having to have surgery. I've wanted this fixed for 7 years. Getting rid of the pain and horrible body image issues that I have is going to be worth just about whatever recovery can throw my way. I'm trying to go in with a good mindset.

It's a lot easier now that I've found others that I can talk to about it all.