Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Kyphosis, Lordosis and Flatback Room

Notices

Old 27th April 2014, 07:28 PM
OrangeD

Default A year on and life is good

Well It's a year on and all is well. I went for my 12 month check up, last monday and everyone is happy. My spine is starting to fuse. Mr G told me the metal work would stay in forever, which I guessed it would. There are some bumps running down my back, which I don't mind too much and he said he couldn't do anything about. TBH If I look normal in a t-shirt then I'm happy.

I've recently started my first job in 10 years, It's a bit hard on the back, with the bending down. But I'm getting used to it. Being 6ft 4 just means you get used to having bend down a lot. I try to use my knees but they ain't the best at times!

I've been going to the gym for the past 9/10 months and doing weight training. I get the odd day where my back is aching like mad and I just need to lay down. But other then that I feel normal as I can be.

To anyone who's feeling like they wished they never went through with their surgery, I've been there, right to the bottom of the pit. Sometimes you get unlucky, I was unlucky 10 years ago. I finally said enough is enough and went back for another go. I went into it with a positive attitude and as prepared as I could be.

Stay positive!
Old 27th April 2014, 08:39 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: A year on and life is good

Chris! Welcome back, and many congrats! This is so good to read. You had a tough journey and you've done so brilliantly well thanks for coming back to inspire others here
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 28th April 2014, 02:02 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

So pleased to hear you're doing well Chris, thanks for taking the time to update us
Old 29th April 2014, 06:40 PM

Thumbs up Re: A year on and life is good

Thank you for the update! I get my first fusion next month. May 19th. So scared but i'm staying positive!
Old 30th April 2014, 12:25 AM

Yay, Chris Notts!!! I have followed your story with your SK. So goodto hear of your success.

Good luck, CurvyCat. You CAN do this!

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 47 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero!
Old 10th May 2014, 06:52 PM

Hey man. Im so jealous at you
Please say, what is your current degree?
Old 19th May 2014, 12:43 PM
Mod with a rod (or two)

Way to go dude

I love a success story

You so deserve it with all you bee through

take care

Mark

Mark's a groovin an a movin