Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 23rd April 2014, 08:15 AM

Unhappy Imaginary Itching

Oh my gosh this is driving me crazy!
I am two months post op and i have this annoying itching beneath my skin, inbetween my shoulder blades. I feel like a crazy person because the thing is, is that it is numb there... so I shouldn't be feeling the itch at all. I still have nerve pain there too, so is it just that I am crazy or is my skin healing underneath or what?!? OMG. I can't itch it either because the scar is there and if I like, rub it, it helps for two seconds and then itches worse!

Agh!
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:44 AM
Kara

Default Re: Imaginary Itching

Jamie I had this problem I normally colored to keep my mind off it
Foot Surgery Febaury 2015
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:22 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi Jamie,

I'm afraid that this a normal (and usually good!) sign that you are healing. This itching is caused by various nerves coming back "online". It is SO madly annoying though - loads of us will sympathise with you! It usually does get better with time though some numb / slightly itchy bits may remain.

Try not to scratch - using ice is a much safer way to try to kill the itch a bit. Don't hold any ice directly onto your skin though, make sure it is wrapped in a cloth first. If the itching really does get unbearable, see your GP about it as you may be able to get lidocaine patches which are huge stickers that contain a local anaesthetic.

*hugs*

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 23rd April 2014, 03:38 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
Hi Jamie,

I'm afraid that this a normal (and usually good!) sign that you are healing. This itching is caused by various nerves coming back "online". It is SO madly annoying though - loads of us will sympathise with you! It usually does get better with time though some numb / slightly itchy bits may remain.

Try not to scratch - using ice is a much safer way to try to kill the itch a bit. Don't hold any ice directly onto your skin though, make sure it is wrapped in a cloth first. If the itching really does get unbearable, see your GP about it as you may be able to get lidocaine patches which are huge stickers that contain a local anaesthetic.

*hugs*

Toni xx
If an area is already numb would the Lidocaine patches do anything?
When I was given them for the pain around my screws they did nothing and I presumed it was because the area is already numb.

For the itching I found that rubbing that cooling gel you can buy soothed it a little.
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 23rd April 2014, 06:06 PM

It depends how deep the reconnecting nerves lie, Sarah. Lidocaine does only really help with nerve pain near the surface, it's true. I think it's worth trying stuff though - and if cooling gel helps with itching then lidocaine patches ought to.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:43 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
It depends how deep the reconnecting nerves lie, Sarah. Lidocaine does only really help with nerve pain near the surface, it's true. I think it's worth trying stuff though - and if cooling gel helps with itching then lidocaine patches ought to.
Most of my itching was on my scar and that's where I felt some relief when the cooling gel was rubbed on-by someone else though
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 24th April 2014, 09:28 AM

Seriously you guys rock so much! ! I wouldn't make it without all of you I will call my doctor about the itching, and see if they recommend the patches, and it is good to know that I put up with the itch for some good reason... so is this something everyone experiences with the surgery?
Old 24th April 2014, 09:58 AM

Hi,

I remember that. It came with a nasty rash too. Felt like my skin was crawling-it does go away though.
Old 24th April 2014, 10:15 AM

I think nearly everyone does experience this itching to some degree, yes! You could try some cooling gel as Sarah suggests, as that is easy to get hold of - ask for Deep Freeze or similar at your local pharmacist. If that works well then Licdocine (brand name Versatis) patches should work too; you can cut them to fit where you need, and they last for several hours so you don't need to faff about reapplying them. The downside is that they can only be got on prescription and are expensive so your GP may be reluctant to prescribe them.
Old 24th April 2014, 01:24 PM
OrangeL

Our lovey pharmacist gave me a handful of the Licodaine patches!
I took the prescription in and said I was reluctant to use them because I'd tried the Licodaine cream and it didn't work so he grabbed a handful of the patches and gave them to me-think he had a bit of a soft spot for me
Old 24th April 2014, 02:40 PM

Gosh you were very lucky Sarah! They cost the NHS about 70 a box a few years back so I could only get them through my Pain Clinic's recommendation to my GP.