Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 28th April 2014, 04:18 PM

Unhappy Anyone else braced at 13?

Hi - I am a mom of a 13yr old (14 next month) who has had her brace now for only 2 weeks - I'm worried all of the time, and sick to my stomach with worry. Anyone else out there who has had a Boston Brace, and did NOT need surgery later?

Looking for positive feedback..
Old 28th April 2014, 05:31 PM
bionic, baby

Default Re: Anyone else braced at 13?

hello

i wore a TLSO (boston brace) from when I was 14 until I was almost 17, and had surgery when I was 18. Whether or not your daughter subsequently needs surgery depends on a few different criteria and, at this point, it may be hard to tell. With my case, I think it was always a bit of a given, but my brace certainly helped - it slowed my progression (well, in my opinion - nobody will know for sure) and meant that I could afford to wait to have surgery, plus that when it did happen, my curves probably weren't as bad as they may have been.
Diagnosed in March 2001 by family GP after my mum noticed an asymmetry in my spine. Referred to a consultant at the RNOH, Stanmore and started attending consultations for x-rays twice a year. Prescribed a TLSO brace to be worn 16 hours per day. Began with double major curves at approx 48 degrees. Offered surgery in 2003 aged 16 and declined to continue with school. Requested surgery in 2005 instead. Had T11-L3 fused on 16th July 2005 and haven't looked back! Released for all activities in March 2006, having been driving and riding horses with consultant's permission since 7 weeks post op.
Old 6th May 2014, 12:50 AM
RedL

Smile Re: Anyone else braced at 13?

Hey,
I'm 13 and have a brace I've only had it 3 weeks. I've not had surgery yet (and hopefully I don't have to in the future) my curves 43.52 degrees please feel free to contact me about any further questions or for your daughter to speak to somebody else
Ellen xx
Old 6th May 2014, 08:17 AM
Kara

Default Re: Anyone else braced at 13?

I was braced at 13 for a curve of 43 degrees
Foot Surgery 2014