Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 18th April 2014, 10:14 AM

Default my surgery went well!

Hi everyone, here's my update for my surgery on 28th March.

When they opened me up they realised my rib rotation was more severe than they thought so I have been fused T2 to L4 with 26 screws and 2 titanium rods.

The post-op care was not good, as it was the weekend there was a skeleton staff, no pharmacy and no doctor to prescribe, and they lost my notes when they moved me on to the ward. So the only pain relief they gave me was a paracetamol drip. I was in agony and delirious all weekend and felt like I'd been run over my a herd of bulls. Luckily my surgeon came to see me 1st thing on the Monday and sorted it all out, and I was introduced to my new BFF morpheus

I spent 2 weeks in hospital and came home on Friday evening 11th April.

My correction looks amazing!! I am quite mobile, can go up and down the stairs, use the little girls room, and generally look after myself. The Occupational Therapy team at the hospital lent me crutches and a zimmer frame, and attached a rail to the side of my bed to help me get in and out, which has been a blessing.

The other thing which has been fantastic is my remote control recliner chair.

I am struggling to walk properly as I have a 1cm leg length discrepancy and I have to re-learn to compensate for that as my centre of gravity has changed. It's up to me now to find a class to help me with this as the hospital won't give me physio as I am clinically "fixed".

I am taking Lyrica, oxycontins, oxynorms, diazapam, paracetamol and brufen, and laxatives (it was 11 days before I did a bowel movement in hospital, partly because I didn't eat much and also because my body had been shut down for 6 hrs on the operating table and it takes a while for the system to get going again). The whole of my back still feels a little bit numb, I can't feel my mum rubbing cream on my shoulders but it's early days and will sort itself out in time.

My scar is beautiful and healing well.

I am sore and tired but glad it is all over and enjoying my recuperation.

I've only gained an inch in height (it was anticipated it would be 3 inches) but I can't stand up completely straight just yet so fingers crossed I may be taller than I think. The main thing is the dratted rib hump has GONE!!!

Any questions please ask
Old 18th April 2014, 01:25 PM
OrangeL

Default Re: my surgery went well!

Well done Lucie on getting through your op and getting such a great correction, you must feel very relieved that its over.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine regarding pain relief and the hospital been short staffed. You really do feel as though you were hit by a truck!

I wasn't given crutches or anything, I think some hospitals don't think its helpful. Maybe you would stand up straighter if you tried without the crutches?
I had a 1cm leg discrepancy but my surgeon said it would correct itself, I hated the feeling though so I tried physio and they put me in a shoe raise-big mistake, it made me have awful low backpain so I stopped using it. My surgeon was right because now I dont even notice it and I think its settled itself, I used to have a slant in my torso but that's not so bad now. It all takes time to settle.

Well done again, now you can look forward to wearing all those lovely clothes with your new straight back
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 18th April 2014, 05:54 PM

Lucie! Yay - I am SO glad to hear you are doing well!

I have been wondering how it is all going for you. Sounds like it was a rough start (seriously, only paracetamol!?!!?!) but Iím glad your doctor got things sorted out.

Iím impressed to hear you are so mobile after only 3 weeks with such an extensive surgery. You are one brave and tough lady! I hope the leg discrepancy issues sorts itself out Ė I would think it would since from what I've read from other forum members thereís a lot of shifting and settling that goes on for a while after fusion.

Iím looking forward to seeing photos of your scar and before/after surgery (hint-hint ). Youíre going to have a blast shopping for new clothes to go along with your new frame!

Ps. How long did your surgery end up being?

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.
Old 18th April 2014, 08:33 PM

Well done Lucy..
I can relate to most of the things you have described. Having had my surgery 22 Jan. I didn't have any mobility aids and feel it's better to let your body work at its own speed and comfort without them but whatever works for you.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery x
Old 18th April 2014, 08:47 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Great to hear you're doing so well Lucie
Old 19th April 2014, 02:38 PM

The op took 6 hours, but I have no recollection of any of it!!

I had to be able to walk up 4 stairs using one crutch and holding on to the rail, and be able to use a zimmer to get to the toilet to be allowed to go home. I am not using them though, but I haven't been out of the house yet so I'm not sure if I need them or not.

How long does it take for anaesthetic to come out of the body? I am sure I feel "sick" because of it.

How do I upload photos on here? I read the Tech FAQ but I still don't get it!
Old 19th April 2014, 03:08 PM
OrangeL

My surgery lasted 10 hrs because I also had a costoplasty but I don't recall the anesthetic staying in my system. It could be some of the medication your taking that's making you feel sick. Gosh hospitals really do have their own ways of doing things-I was taken to the stairs in a wheelchair and I had to walk up and down again holding onto the stair rail. There was no mention if crutches or Zimmer frames. I think the quicker you walk without aids the better because your posture might get too used to leaning into something. Did they say how long you should use the aids for?

Sorry I can't help with uploading pics-I haven't a clue
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight
Old 19th April 2014, 08:55 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

To upload photos (the short version ) you need to first host them on a site such as tinypic.com or photobuket, the you copy the text which says it's for posting on message boards and paste it into your post where you want the pic to appear
Old 24th April 2014, 10:19 PM

Hi, well done, where did you have your op?
Old 25th April 2014, 10:33 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi Lucie, you're doing great! Tiff has written an excellent guide to posting pictures which you can find Stickied at the top of the Common Room

If sickness is troubling you, Domperidone (Motilium) is a very effective anti-sickness drug. You can buy it direct from pharmacies in the UK or get it on prescription from your GP. Don't buy Dom Perignon instead, hehe
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.