Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 5th April 2014, 11:01 AM

Default Surgery went smoothly! !

Hello everyone! Just wanted to share my experience with the surgery! I had the procedure on 2/3 and was back at work on3/10!! Being someone who is faint with blood and needles I feel I did very well. To be honest I didn't really let myself get worked up about the surgery the couple days before. I just kind of lived by the quote "everyone else had done this, I can too" and it is so true. I was at U.C Davis in California for Monday through Friday. 5 days. The one thing that nobody told me is that the ride home would be so horrible.. The seats in my car are made to essentially sink your back into, which my new spine obviously would not do., so I stuck a pillow between my back and the seat to prop me forward and keep me from going backward into the seat; also going around corners hurt too! When I got home all I would ever do is sleep. Eventually I started probably after a week going out and sitting on the couch. It was a gradual process but you gain strength in no time. There was this really annoying sharp pain around the areas of my shoulder blades that was excruciating, and would come about almost every time I'd move my body but it has since subsided. I am back at work now, standing literally 8 hours at times; I know it's bad but I'm doing fine, and sit when I need to. Let me know if there are questions, I'm writing this quickly, but would love to go more in depth with questions =)

Last edited by jamieelizabeth; 5th April 2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typos
Old 5th April 2014, 09:53 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Surgery went smoothly! !

Oh this is fantastic news! Please promise us that you'll take things steady though to protect the wonderful work that's been done! Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly but don't worry if you have a few setbacks, its quite normal for that to be the case, especially as you become more active.
Old 6th April 2014, 07:32 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Holy Mackeral!

Just reading this wore me out and put me back into bed.....Try to slow down a little bit ok? You only get one chance at this, we donít want to see you having a soft tissue injury pushing the limits.

All the text books say 12 months for fusion to occur. This is a sort of base to go by, and when young like you with young stem cells, chances are you are fusing quickly, but even still, you donít want to disrupt this process with bending, twisting, or a fall. Please donít lift anything right now, wait another week....He he

Congratulations!

Are you done with the meds?

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
A/P T2-Pelvis BMP Jan 2008
Old 7th April 2014, 06:30 AM

Oh. My. Gosh!!! Sounds like you are doing great, Jamieelizabeth! I agree with Ed and Gilly to be cautious though, you wouldn't want to mess up that fusion while it's still healing.

I'm glad you posted - it's good to hear from you and know things are going so well.

I've thought up a few questions for you... How long was your fusion? Did you get your post-op x-rays to see how much correction you obtained? Did you get any taller? And of course the obvious question from someone twice your age... What's it like to be 22 and heal so darn quick!?!?

I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Kyphosis at age 16. I had an 80-degree thoracolumbar kyphosis and mild scoliosis. My posterior fusion surgery was performed by Dr. Sethi in Seattle on Earth Day 2014. It reduced my kyphosis to 50 degrees and my scoliosis to about zero.
Old 8th April 2014, 01:06 PM

Smile Re: Surgery went smoothly! !

Hey Guys! Thanks for the replies, it makes me feel special =)
I knew I would get the concerned feedback that you guys have given me, and to be honest I am sort of afraid also, how would I know if something were going wrong?

Gilly: Thank you for your excitement! =) And I will try to take things slow.

Ed: What exactly is a soft tissue injury and how will I know if I have one? Also, me and my meds are great buddies, lol. First I was on dilaudid in the hospital, with a push button, then on percocet when I got home (every single 4 hour period I would take 2 tabs), then after 2 weeks I was switched to Norco 10-325's, every 4 hours still for maybe 2 or 3 weeks, and now I'm on Norco 5-325's. At first I was not happy with the new norco, I was taking 3 at once to feel relief at work, but then I ran out too quick and had to call my surgeon's office and they told me that was a big no-no because of the amount of the acetematiphen or however it's spelt. So then I decided to try and deal with some pain at work, and I take my meds only when I feel the pain getting bad. My current routine is : 2 at a time; in the morning after I eat, at work around 11 or so when I start hurting, then at 3 or so when I do again, and then I try to wait as long as I can after that to take more, so 7 or 8, and then I stick it out until I lay down for sleep anywhere from 11pm to 2am. I have gained mental strength to deal with the pain more than anything I feel, but at times I get frustrated. What do you think? Is my routine normal sounding?

Kay: You sure did make me smile with your excitement, thank you! I have been wanting to post for a while, and I wanted to post during my recovery but it seemed to be mentally unattainable at the time, typing stuff up, or even thinking of what to write was exhausting.

Your questions, answered. 1) "Posterior spinal fusion T5 to L1","Posterior segmental instrumentation T5 to L1", "Facectomies T5 to L1"... whatever that means besides the obvious.
2) I will include my photobucket link, which has my album of all things scoliosis in my life so you can see all that jazz. I don't believe I need to hide anything from the general public, and I trust that nobody will stalk me or anything crazy, but i will warn you, there are pictures of me minus all the makeup lolol
3) I did get taller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay don't laugh, but before the surgery I was 5 foot a half, maybe three quarters (not yet 5'1") I am now a solid 5'2"!!!!!!!! which is not that much, but a short girl like me has a hard time finding pants that don't drag on the ground, and I went out and bought all new jeans and it's so wonderful being taller! I know that my legs didn't grow, and in fact, most of my shirts are now a little too short, but I feel that my pants fit better, maybe because I am able to pull them up farther on my hips? Maybe I'm crazy..
4) Every day I feel so fortunate for the youth that I have and I treasure it to the fullest, my quick recovery is why I have fought so hard for so long to get this surgery and I finally have accomplished it, and after 1 month and 1week I'm back at work, pushing myself, and it feels so good!

I'd like to thank everyone for the continuous support!!!!!!!

I also would like to know if anyone has had that annoying nerve pain i explained, in between and around the shoulder blades?

Photobucket link:
http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/ja...?sort=3&page=1 <--------normal album mode

or

http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/ja...23/story/41189 <---story mode

Last edited by jamieelizabeth; 8th April 2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typos
Old 8th April 2014, 03:24 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Ha ha, I'm certainly with you on the 'short person' comment! I'm only a tad over 5' myself. Was 5'2" at my tallest, then lost several inches due to the curvature. Surgery brought me back to around 5'1" but I've since lost a little bit due to 'settling'.

Pain-wise, I had terrible problems with my shoulder blade area and also my hips. It's just a case of waiting for everything to settle down after being quite brutally shifted
Old 8th April 2014, 06:04 PM

I can also pop myself into the 'short person' list, as im about 5'4 and struggle to also find trousers that wont drag along the floor, as noone does my leg length haha, so have to tdo the old fasioned thing and turn them up :P.
But its great to hear that you are doing well. Hope it all keeps going smoothly
Halo traction for a week then I had surgery 08/05/14, fused C5-T12 correcting curves by about half! By the wonderful and amazing, Mr Bernard. And then an Anterior Iliac Strut graft in my neck/ chest on the 05/06/14
Old 8th April 2014, 07:44 PM
Kara

Jamie I'm glad your surgery went well I'm also a uc davis patient who your doctor
Foot Surgery 2014
Old 9th April 2014, 06:40 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieelizabeth View Post
Ed: What exactly is a soft tissue injury and how will I know if I have one?
Jamie, a soft tissue injury would be an injury to muscles, ligaments, tendons.....all the soft stuff that gets cut, or moved and is in a delicate state after our surgeries. I had one at 22 months post that felt like a soldering iron, 3/4 inch circle at my L2. A 9-10 level event that is just crippling. I waited a week, made an appointment with my surgeon and as I was going up the elevator, the pain subsided like a light switch turning off. From 10 to 0, just like that. I did this bending over reaching down to my feet, a challenge for scolis fused to the pelvis. This stretching has to be done slowly.... (Nerve pain is like that, On or Off, No in between.....) You can also disturb a soft tissue, have it swell, and compress a nerve.

In our recoveries, we all push just a little harder when we feel better and most of the time it sends us back to bed for a few days. At age 22, you can get away with a lot, most of what I talk about has a lot to with this thing called age.....It has a tendency to slow you down. If you push hard enough, you will know. Itís a see-saw recovery, up and down days, hopefully with more up days.

It should be a goal to wean off meds....I think most are off around 3 months...

If you are concerned, ask your surgeon about tapering down....spacing out dosage times is an easy way to do this....

Walking often is a good thing right now......Many short walks throughout the day.

Diet plays an important role in the fusion of bone in the early stages. Protein is needed for healing....Eat correctly.

Hang in there

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
Old 12th April 2014, 08:24 AM

Gilly; Oh no! Our inches are precious, im so sad to hear that are losing some from 'settling', does this happen often? I have been thinking of getting a corset to wear under my brace, any opinion of this? Maybe it will combat the settling? And thanks for letting me know that you get the shoulder blade pain too!

JayMoe: The short leg, long pants struggle is real!! I feel your pain!!! Thank you for your kind words

KaraNicole: My doctor was Dr. Roberto, when was your surgery, and who was your doctor?

And Ed: You are so informative, I am greatly appreciative! You really made me think about a few things that I would not have, so I thank you for that. I am a vegetarian; so the diet thing is something I've been trying to work on lately- I have a lot of tofu-about every day so that I have a source of protein. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me

Guys work is crazy right now, we are sort staffed and I have been working now 6 days, don't get a break until 6 days from now
Old 13th April 2014, 07:53 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

The 'settling' I was referring to often happens in the period before the fusion takes hold since the spine attempts to regain it's curved position. I'm not sure whether a corset (or brace) would be enough support to stop this happening if it's going to happen.
Old 16th April 2014, 04:54 AM
AKA Titaniumed

Jamie

Your welcome.....

If you ever gat a chance to watch this video, David Allen Grier talks about ďTofu TurkeyĒ LOL Its hilarious!

http://www.amazon.com/David-Alan-Gri.../dp/B00009W8NK

Ed

55 yr old male
T70 L70 double trouble
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:40 AM
Kara

My surgery was march 10 2010
My Dr is Dr Gupta also at uc davis
Foot Surgery 2014