Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Kyphosis, Lordosis and Flatback Room

Notices

Old 16th March 2014, 10:00 PM

Default Weight lifting with kyphosis

Hey Everyone!

I know there might be threads similar to this subject but I couldn't find any that deal with weight lifting.

Anyways, does anyone know anything about weightlifting with kyphosis such as what exercises you shouldn't do or what exercises are better to do? Maybe even some guidelines when it comes to lifting or certain exercises or stretches that help? I been weightlifting for a few years now off and on and recently I stopped for some injuries but I wanna get back into it with a new approach of trying to help my posture to relieve some of the pain in my back and neck.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 17th March 2014, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Weight lifting with kyphosis

I was weightlifting 4x a week with kyphosis. I had no limitations except for being embarrassed to bend down to do dead lifts in front of other people because thats when you were really able to see my curve. But i was able to do everything and the stronger and bigger i got the better my curve looked.
Old 22nd March 2014, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Weight lifting with kyphosis

Hmm, I see what your saying. I suppose it's all about just keeping good posture when lifting. I had stopped doing chest for awhile as I thought maybe that would make my kyphosis worse by pulling the shoulders forward but he mentioned that doing chest is good as long as I have a balanced focus on the back muscles. He said that weight lifting is good for problems like this.