Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 14th March 2014, 01:06 PM

Default Could exercise help me?

Hey all

As you might know, I've got an upper body (not sure where yet, though it affects my neck as well as my shoulders) and lower lumbar curve--a double major pattern. My case isn't severe though, probably no more than 30 degrees. I've been given a lot of physiotherapy to do, which I presume will help with the pain, but nobody has mentioned the appearance.

Cosmetically, do exercises help? I have a mildly tilted neck without any natural lordosis in it, one shoulder higher than the other, and a bit of rib rotation and prominence too. I also have a swayback. I know that I probably won't ever be able to "cure" my scoliosis, but can exercise improve the appearance of it?
Old 14th March 2014, 04:45 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Could exercise help me?

There are plenty of reports of physio therapies that are specifically designed to target spinal curvatures (such as Schroth therapy) can improve your pain and posture, lessening the appearance of scoliosis. The downside is that Schroth is mainly taught in a handful of private clinics which charge a lot of money, though there are some individual physios out there who now offer it on a more personal basis. There's a list of Schroth-certified physios at the top of the Nonsurgical forum if you are interested (I'm afraid that I've no idea if there are any in your part of the world though).

Another option is The Alexander Technique, which isn't scoliosis-specific but teaches you to correct your posture. There are far more teachers of this technique around, and so it doesn't tend to cost quite as much. Carolad has had good results with this and always seems happy to advise other SSOers about it, so you may like to drop her a PM if you're interested to learn more.

Yoga and Pilates can help you build a strong core, which is really important as the core muscles act as a sort of "internal corset", supporting your lumbar spine. It's possible that this might help with the appearance of your lordosis/swayback to some extent too.

I certainly think it's always worth looking into things like this, as exercise is good for you anyway
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.