Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 15th February 2014, 06:51 AM
OrangeL

Exclamation My rods are gone

10 years since they were put in, they are now gone. Seeing the xray without them was weird but a relief too . They were starting to cause trouble and above all pain. My bone fusion has been completed so no worries about going back in my old shape.
Old 15th February 2014, 10:14 AM
OrangeL

Default Re: My rods are gone

Congratulations, here's to hopefully a more pain free future for you

When did you get it done? Was the op easier than your initial fusion?
Do you feel as though your pain has improved yet?
I'm still considering removal because I have 4/5 painful screws which get very sore, I'm apprehensive because my first surgery was so awful I'm afraid of going through it again. Any info you can guve would be great.
Old 15th February 2014, 10:15 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

That's great, hope you are reasonably comfy as you recover from this op
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 15th February 2014, 06:35 PM
OrangeL

I was terrified going into the surgery as this was my 3rd. 1st to put it in, 2nd to fixed it and this time it all came out. The 2nd caused permanent nerve damage and resulted in a lot of pain so yeah I was a wreck on Wednesday. My surgery was REALLY late, 9pm. They had to calm me down really.

I'm now 3 days post op and can walk stairs easily. My back is still very sore but feel like I can breathe in much deeper. I asked to keep my metal. It literally changed my life.

Old 15th February 2014, 09:43 PM

That's a shocking amount of hardware!! I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.
Old 16th February 2014, 05:56 AM
OrangeL

Ouch that is impressive hardware! not surprised it hurt having that lot inside ouch again,and well done for deciding to get them removed!

mine is still inside and hurting lots,may have the courage some day to get them removed but ouch again!
Old 16th February 2014, 07:09 AM
OrangeL

They made sure my bone fusion was complete vefore having the removed.
The surgery itself didn't take long to do, about an hour. And he only made and incision on the top and one on the bottom rather thsn reopen my whole scar so that will aid recovery. It is Sunday. I had my last xray on Friday and could see all the metal had gone. I'm terminator no more.
Old 16th February 2014, 08:38 AM

Aren't they pretty? I love that we get spinal bling ) Titanium is such a pretty colour anyway, but yours are all colour co-ordinated according to size! Very nice I actually don't think there's much there though - did you have a relatively short fusion?

I really, really wanted to keep my original Harrington when it was replaced with a longer one when I was 18. I'd had the original one for eight years and really felt it was part of me, so I was gutted when they said I couldn't have it due to "infection risk" (ie they didnt have time to clean all the bits of blood and bone off it). Bara has her original rods I think.
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 16th February 2014, 11:38 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

I think it's a general rule in the UK nowadays not to allow you to have your hardware due to 'infection control', which is a great shame in my opinion, I would have loved to keep the troublesome screw I had removed! Hope you recover quickly and have no further problems
Old 16th February 2014, 12:14 PM
OrangeL

They had to break my rods so it doesnt look so big but they did cover almost all of my spine.
Old 16th February 2014, 12:47 PM

Oh, of course! Doh, i am being dim. You had them put in ten years ago - they didn't generally use so many screws with the instrumentation systems back then. These days you usually have two screws per vertebra fused, though they'llmiss a screw out here and there if they can get away without putting them in.

I'm fused T1-L4 but with older instrumentation, so I don't have so many screws either they had to break my first rod to get it out too, but I still wish I had the pieces. Someone (either here, or perhaps Linda Racine in NSF) had earrings made from her old rods.
Old 16th February 2014, 04:36 PM

WOW!!! Are you on the facebook Page "How to Look Good Twisted" ? Your post & pictures would be a great one to share with the members.

My Spine is fused T2 down to S1.

Brenda
Old 16th February 2014, 04:58 PM
OrangeL

Interesting colours
I've got 28 screws so dread to think what all that would look like. Its great that they just did an incision top and bottom-is that because you didn't have screws in the centre part? Its the thought of being cut right open again that puts me off but given the amount of pain I've been in again today I'm going to have to pluck up the courage one day.
Old 16th February 2014, 05:45 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestone View Post
Interesting colours
I've got 28 screws so dread to think what all that would look like. Its great that they just did an incision top and bottom-is that because you didn't have screws in the centre part? Its the thought of being cut right open again that puts me off but given the amount of pain I've been in again today I'm going to have to pluck up the courage one day.
I have been terrified. Never been so scared in all my life! My second surgery caused such lasting damage that I didnt know what to expect. We knew it was the right caas it meant we did indeed try everything.
I onmy had screws top and bottom hense the smaller incisions however I did get opened up all the way with the second one.

Although only days ago, I can already feel the difference. I can breathe deeper, the rods dont yank my ribs anymore and I don't get muscles stuck. We know we made the right call and I am happy we went ahead with it.
Old 17th April 2014, 09:56 PM

Wow- glad to hear your success story of getting the rods removed. I am 18 years old and I am getting my rods out on June 3rd, 2014. I am terrified. I'm so nervous about all of the risks. I'm nervous about tissue damage. I am nervous about more pain after surgery. I am nervous about curving after surgery. I am nervous that as I age I will start hunching over. I am in so much pain everyday that i want the rods removed, but I'm still just so terrified that something could go wrong. Are you in less pain now that your rods are removed? Do you look any different now? I would really like some advice. I hate going through this.
thank you
Haley Q.