Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Non Surgical Room

Notices

Old 23rd February 2014, 11:26 PM

Default Scoliosis/back pain relief while outside home?

First post. New member and thanks all for the wonderful information here.

At 74, my scoliosis is getting worse, and I can no longer enjoy my favorite past times--long walks. I do several exercises and they help, but if I risk a walk, my spine feels like it's being pounded straight down. Every step is painful, and I'm a mile from home!

If I can find a high enough horizontal bar, hanging for a moment does help. Also, there is one where I raise my left arm up and over my head sideways, with push against a wall while pushing my right arm across the body. [hard to explain but here's a video link:]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWtrCmzaOw

Anyone have simple trick to relieve pain while walking?
Old 24th February 2014, 05:14 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Scoliosis/back pain relief while outside home?

Hello and

I use good quality trekking poles with an anti-shock system (eg Leki) when I'm doing any (semi ) serious walking. They help to provide the shock absorbency I've lost in my own spine due to disc degeneration over the years and are particularly helpful now that I am fused and only have one disc left at the bottom doing all the hard work! They can be bought from just about any 'outdoorsy' type of store When I was having problems with my fusion and in an awful lot of pain I even used them to walk to the local Co-op - earned me a few odd glances, but who cares?
Old 24th February 2014, 08:44 PM

Many thanks. I will take a look at them.
Old 25th February 2014, 08:34 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

You are 74? Amazing!!! I bow before you. You are my hero. The oldest person I have come on that was still alive with marked scoliosis was 65 years old! I am 62. You might try taking some pain meds before you go out walking and see if that helps.
I am 61 years old and the resident SSO fossil. I live in Oklahoma,USA with my husband Allen. We have one daughter Jae and she has three kids.Our grandkids are: Aidan is8. He's the one pictured in my current avatar. Jenna Jean is 7 and Ryan Allen is just 4 It's full time chaos here! I was diagnosed in 1965 at 14 years with Kyphoscoliosis and 2 curves measuring 68 and 63 degrees. My last measurements were in 2004 at 155, 88 and 55+ degrees. I have never had surgery or bracing so I now am on full time oxygen and use a Non Invasive Ventilator at night. at night.
Old 25th February 2014, 08:51 AM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Hi, and welcome

Like Gilly, I have a spinal fusion with just one vertebra left unfused at the bottom. I also use walking poles with an anti-shock system when I'm out walking. Hiking is one of my favourite pastimes these poles really do make a huge difference!

Also, a simple fabric lumbar support might help you - I have one and it really does take the strain off my lower back. Mine was custom-made for me by an orthotist but you can buy them online too.

Have you had your spine assessed by a doctor recently? It may be that you have disc problems etc which could possibly be fixed. If you are having a lot of pain, I think it would be a good idea to see someone - dont let them fob you off because of your age!

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 26th February 2014, 05:21 PM

Hi

Have you seen a doctor for your scoliosis? Scoliosis should to be monitored

I had the surgery when I was 61 & now 20 months. My spine is fused from T2 down to S! The pain I have is not scoliosis related just arthritis.

Before the surgery I rarely ventured outside of the house due to pain. Worried I would get somewhere & not have the physical strength to get safely back home.

There are some sitting exercise DVD's that I used before the surgery & after.
You can find sitting chair exercises on YouTube.

I mentor two ladies in their mid 70''s who have had the surgery...both are doing great.

Take care of yourself & do be careful

Brenda