Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 29th January 2014, 05:28 PM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

Default Re: Good luck Centelleo and Becky Rosen

Had a text from Becky earlier, Holly was back on ward out of HDU at lunchtime.
Great to hear xx
Old 29th January 2014, 08:38 PM

Great news
Mum to Aaron who has congenital kyphosis . Surgery performed by Mr Lehovsky and his team (Matt & Charlie ) on Tuesday 18th February at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore . surgery was anterior and posterior approach carried out in the one surgery .
Old 30th January 2014, 12:37 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Excellent
Old 1st February 2014, 12:20 PM

Hi everyone

Thank you for updating Kezpet. I have a few minutes so thought I'd let you know how we are doing.

The first stage went very well and Holly's progress is excellent. Although Holly is extremely impatient for it all to be over and if she could have the second stage today I'm sure she could.

She had a severe reaction to the morphine, which resulted in intense itching. I understand itching is quite common but the nurses said they'd never seen such a severe reaction. She itched from head to toe, and with the added delight of stockings and leg pumps managed to ladder these incredibly strong stockings and rake her legs until they bled.

She was taken off the morphine immediately and the itching has subsided thankfully. Now she wants the chest drain out (fingers crossed that will be today) and the oxygen gone, because that's getting on her nerves too.

Holly is quite fed up and totally grumpy (yes you was Holly...when you read this later), has thrown up and is having problems taking the meds.

But each day is a step forward and I am sure once we are nearer to the stage 2 surgery (Tuesday) she will feel better.

The staff here are just amazing. I cannot thank them enough for all they are doing.
Old 1st February 2014, 02:28 PM

It's great to hear she is doing well Becky ,I've heard a few people saying that morphine is very hard to take , I know my daughter was on tramadoll after knee surgery and it made her v sick and morphine I believe is stronger again. It's great to hear your experiences when Aaron's surgery is so close .
Mum to Aaron who has congenital kyphosis . Surgery performed by Mr Lehovsky and his team (Matt & Charlie ) on Tuesday 18th February at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore . surgery was anterior and posterior approach carried out in the one surgery .
Old 1st February 2014, 03:59 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

I hated the oxygen too, it made my nose bleed It sounds as though she's doing brilliantly for the stage
Old 1st February 2014, 04:13 PM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

Hope today is a bit better.
The oxygen tube was so annoying, I was constantly wiping baby wipes over my face.
Hope the chest drain is out soon, that will make her feel loads better.
Hope ur doing ok too xx
Take care
Kerry x
Old 1st February 2014, 05:17 PM

The chest drain is out. Woohoo!

It's picked Holly up no end.
Old 1st February 2014, 07:20 PM
Strong And Positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
I hated the oxygen too, it made my nose bleed It sounds as though she's doing brilliantly for the stage
I had the same, my nose bled for days when they took it out. It was horrible!
Name: Saila. Age: 23. I had a right (sided) thoracic curve of 64 degrees. Anterior release and posterior fusion done with costoplasty at RNOH Stanmore by Mr. Sean Molloy on the 5th of June 2013. Fusion: T3-T12.
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
It made my nose bleed too. Horrible. I didn't mind the chest drain on the whole, until one of the nurses accidentally kicked it over and it tugged. But the worst was when one of them picked the container up and it started to drain back into my chest...

Anyway, I hope the second stage goes well - Holly will be up and about before she knows it. The second stage is a bit better because no chest drain! Just make sure that the nurses do turn her regularly and that she gets up and about regularly once she's allowed. I ended up with painful spots over my entire back because I spent so much time lying on my back (I was very anaemic after op 2 and got too dizzy every time I sat up). Plastic mattresses = blocked pores!
Old 2nd February 2014, 10:47 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

It sounds like she's doing brilliantly - oooh the poor thing though, that itching doesn't sound pleasant! Hope the second stage goes well
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:20 PM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

Good luck tomorrow for stage 2 xx
Old 4th February 2014, 07:52 AM

Good luck for today
Old 4th February 2014, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Best of luck for today.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:23 AM

Thank you everyone. I'm hoping that we have a better experience with stage 2.

Stage one resulted in sensitivity to morphine, then severe vomiting which they think was due to hydrocodeine, bladder infection, blocked catheter x 2 (due to infection), dehydration, and various little problems. Because she was so sick she couldn't keep fluids or food down even with anti-sickness meds.

Holly is still on fluids and paracetamol via IV and they may have to tube her during the stage 2 surgery to enable them to feed her.

They are going to try and use Oxycodene in the stage 2 surgery because of the intolerance to morphine. Fingers crossed it works okay with no adverse effects.