Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 19th July 2014, 04:44 PM

Default Im one month since surgery

Hi All I thought it best to update everyone. Im currently one month from surgery and I cannot believe how much of a difference this surgery has made to my life. I would totally go for it again if i needed it. The reason I have not been on sooner as I thought it best to update you when i feel relatively my normal self. That time has now come. I feel absolutely fantastic. They fused from just below my shoulders to my pelvis (pelvis screws have been the worst pain from this surgery.) So long as i take my pain meds im ok. I feel really greatful to all my surgeons and DR's who have helped me in many ways. I hope everyone is happy. I will upload pictures of my xrays and what not when i get them at my review appointment on monday. I do have a question though. Do you find your back cracks if you turn a certain way and how can i limit this? as it seems that no matter what way i turn it cracks. its not painful but just strange. Oh and how long was it before you felt pain free without need of meds?
Old 19th July 2014, 10:50 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Im one month since surgery

Great to hear how well you're doing Daniel I would ask about the cracking noise at your review appointment, I'm sure your surgeon will be able to put your mind at rest.
Old 20th July 2014, 05:48 AM

Daniel,
That is such wonderful news, I am so happy for you!!!!!! I am going in for my fusion July 29th, T4 to L5 and I have never been worry and scared in all my life! Not of the surgery, more of after, my limitations etc but I know it'll continue to progress so this is best. Hearing how positive you are brings me great joy! Please keep us posted, best of luck in your recovery!
Old 20th July 2014, 04:35 PM

The first week you wont want to do very much except sleep and bed rest. they will probably get you out of bed on day 3 or 4 and continue on from there. make sure and take all the pain meds they give you. im on 8/500 co-codamol only right now with pain patches at night if i need them (lidocaine). The Surgeons will keep you right! Dont worry about it. i worried about it and i felt rather silly after. Limitation wise i can still bend same way but it feels weird. I do get pain in my pelvis but thats from the screws. more of a numb kind of pain. All in all Im really greatful and glad that i went through this surgery! hope you get through ok!
Old 20th July 2014, 09:14 PM

I am so glad your doing well, I'll try calming down! Ha! I really appreciate you keeping us posted!! Best of luck!!!

Also....may I ask what your curves were before your fusion? And how old are you? Your fused through your pelvis, I'll be fused to L5 just trying to gain perspective I guess. Thank you!
Old 21st July 2014, 11:36 AM

This is great news! pleased to hear you doing well keep it up and you'll get back to normal soon
https://twitter.com/Scoli_JayJay
Old 22nd July 2014, 02:18 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielblack2002 View Post
Hi All I thought it best to update everyone. Im currently one month from surgery and I cannot believe how much of a difference this surgery has made to my life. I would totally go for it again if i needed it. The reason I have not been on sooner as I thought it best to update you when i feel relatively my normal self. That time has now come. I feel absolutely fantastic. They fused from just below my shoulders to my pelvis (pelvis screws have been the worst pain from this surgery.) So long as i take my pain meds im ok. I feel really greatful to all my surgeons and DR's who have helped me in many ways. I hope everyone is happy. I will upload pictures of my xrays and what not when i get them at my review appointment on monday. I do have a question though. Do you find your back cracks if you turn a certain way and how can i limit this? as it seems that no matter what way i turn it cracks. its not painful but just strange. Oh and how long was it before you felt pain free without need of meds?
Yay! I'm so glad it went so well Daniel. Congratulations
My physiotherapist said some slight popping is fine, still, I'd ask your surgeon about it. Mine has dismissed practically all my fears when I ask. "Is it ok to…." "It's fine." "But what about…" "It's fine." "I've noticed…" "That's normal."
Old 23rd July 2014, 08:17 AM

Yay Daniel! So glad u are doing well and were up to posting us an update. As others before me have said, ask your surgeon about the cracking just for your own piece of mind. Keep going and let's see how you're doing at month 2 !
Old 5th August 2014, 03:50 PM

saw my surgeon about two weeks ago and he told me cracking is to do with muscle and not to worry. Im sorry ive not been on in a while as id rather give periodic updates than updates every week. Everythings going well still on pain meds 8/500 cocodamol two tablets 4 times a day sometimes three depending on how im feeling that day. I still find it very hard first thing in morning very stiff hard to move. Other than that i feel ready for back to work but im taking another month off just to be sure.
Old 5th August 2014, 05:34 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Sounds to me like you're doing brilliantly Daniel
Old 5th August 2014, 08:22 PM

Ive got good days and bad days but now im at the stage i feel relatively normal! I definately am so glad i went for this operation. It wasn't the worst pain ive ever been throughand ive had minor complications with catheter they used etc but its all good now!. I just can't wait to get back into gym and getting fit again. My pelvis does get a lil sore mid afternoon and then last thing at night. My back is always very stiff and a lil sore first thing in the morning which i know is normal. My question is will that eventually go? or will i always have it?
Old 5th August 2014, 08:56 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

I sometimes feel a bit stiff in the mornings still, especially my hips, but I put that down more to old age creeping on than surgery I think you'll be fine Daniel, it's incredibly early days for you yet!
Old 5th August 2014, 09:45 PM

Daniel, great to hear that you're doing well, the stiffness will stay for a while longer, mine stayed until about a month and a half post op, but with your fusion it might last a little longer, but ultimately it is different for everyone. Just stick with it as its still very early days for you.

Take it easy now.

Jay
https://twitter.com/Scoli_JayJay
Old 6th August 2014, 12:58 AM

Hey Jay thanks for all your help and advice! been a great help!. Yeah im seeing surgeon tomorrow so il know better what recovery time im looking at. i still get pelvis pain now and again but no where near as rough as the first month. its sort of a numb constant pain that i notice but not so much it affects me. I just really cannot wait to start getting back into sport and getting fit again. Im pushing about 2 miles in my wheelchair everyday and its tough but i know its for the best.
Old 6th August 2014, 09:17 PM

saw my xrays today and wow the size of them in my pelvis ther like 6 inches long lol Dr said another month off work and i should be ok to go back