Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Infantile, Juvenile and Congenital Scoliosis Room

Notices

Old 25th March 2014, 02:01 PM

Default Ireland infantile Scoliosis. Advice needed

Hello everyone,

This is a brilliant website and I am delighted to fond it. I am based in the Southeast of Ireland and my son ( 7 months old) have been diagnosised with scoliosis curve with COBB score of 26 degree left thoracic lumber. Apparently the RVAD is only 8 degrees. My question is as follows: We saw a General Consultant orthopaedics surgeon yesterday and he told us the above. He thinks it is idiopathic infantile scoliosis. He said he will monitor same and that it appears to be a mild curve.

I have also made an appointment to see an Dr Jacques Noelle ( Crumlin Hospital) privately for a second opinion. He is a consultant Orthopaediac surgeon. I am not sure if he is the expert in Ireland. Has anyones child had treatment under the Consultant? Does anyone know who is the expert consultant in this area. The General Consultant yesterday asked for an xray with my son suspended from the armpits. Is this the best angle to get the xray or does this enlongate the body and possibly put the RVAD out? he also had a xray lying on his back. I would be grateful for any information anyone can give me.

Thanks
mooneymView Public ProfileSend a private message to mooneymFind all posts by mooneymAdd mooneym to Your Contacts

Old 25th March 2014, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Ireland infantile Scoliosis. Advice needed

Hi my daughter attended Mr J Noelle and had surgery in Crumlin this day last year. I have no prob chatting to you about what he is like and its a great idea to get a second opinion from an expert in scoliosis and who is working in this field daily. I will pm you my no and email address so you can contact me.

This website is really brilliant. My daughter has the adolescent version but there are a bunch of brilliant parents on here with infants who will be able to help you out. While access to the Uk versus Irish system is different the Crumlin consultants Mr Kiely trained in UK and Mr Noelle in Canada and their outcomes are same as Uk (so Mr Noel told me). Also you will become of all the new techniques as they are available (magnetic rods etc).

Slan.
Dublin based mam of three. 15 year old daughter had spinal fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, s shaped (75 degrees) March 2013. 11 year old daughter with mild scoliosis who has recovered from cancer.
Old 25th March 2014, 05:55 PM
bionic, baby

hi mooneym, welcome to the forum i'm sorry for the circumstances which have brought you here, though.

just to let you know that i've moved your thread to the infantile and juvenile room, so that more parents will see it - the age categories at diagnosis make the various treatments quite specific, so it'll be easier for other people to relate to your situation here. feel free to have a look around everywhere and ask any questions.

i hope that you manage to get the required treatment, and i know that you'll get lots of good support here.
Diagnosed in March 2001 by family GP after my mum noticed an asymmetry in my spine. Referred to a consultant at the RNOH, Stanmore and started attending consultations for x-rays twice a year. Prescribed a TLSO brace to be worn 16 hours per day. Began with double major curves at approx 48 degrees. Offered surgery in 2003 aged 16 and declined to continue with school. Requested surgery in 2005 instead. Had T11-L3 fused on 16th July 2005 and haven't looked back! Released for all activities in March 2006, having been driving and riding horses with consultant's permission since 7 weeks post op.
Old 25th March 2014, 07:17 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

I've replied to your post on the other thread but forgot to add a welcome, so
Old 25th March 2014, 07:23 PM
BlueD

check out Tonibunny thread on this subject or contact her.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:00 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:17 AM
BlueD

Hi,

I sent you a private message yesterday. If you did not receive it please let me know.