Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 14th June 2012, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to katherinejustine Send a message via Skype™ to katherinejustine
Question Struck by lightning??

Just curious, does anyone have any insight on whether it is easier to be struck by lighting after having rods put in your back? It seems to me that the rods would be a conductor. I suppose it would depend on the metal used.

What type of metalwork did people get put in. I know many get titanium, however my surgeon prefers and used stainless steel because he said it was stronger. I remember reading somewhere that titanium was stronger per each unit of weight and that it was lighter. Are all metals conductors?
Old 14th June 2012, 10:41 PM
Duffer

Default Re: Struck by lightning??

Always wondered this!!
Old 15th June 2012, 12:32 AM

I'm not sure but I wouldn't think so.

Nature is lazy and lightning likes to take the shortest route it can to get to the ground. This is called the path of least resistance. Air is generally not a good conductor of electricity, so "to make its life easier" lightning going to pick a tall point that is less resistant than air to make its journey shorter (sorry if I'm making it seem like lightning makes a conscious decision about what it's going to do ). Hence why lightning will often strike trees, tall buildings, lightning rods, spires, etc etc.

I think the chances of something with rods being struck by lightning are about the same as anyone else. Your body is naturally a better conductor of electricity than air, being all full of salty water, regardless of whether or not you have metal rods in it. However, if you do get struck by lightning maybe the outcome will be a bit different because of the rods.

So... just take the normal precautions you would in an electrical storm I suppose (i.e. ensure you are not the path of least resistance).

Hopefully this makes sense.

I love lightning. I wish I'd studied meteorology at times...

Last edited by zookeeper; 15th June 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: error
Old 15th June 2012, 03:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to katherinejustine Send a message via Skype™ to katherinejustine

Wow that's so interesting about the lighting. I guess that makes sense. I heard a story on the news a while back about a girl who got struck by lightening and she lived because she had a nose ring and it had some way to enter/exit her body.

I do think the rods may play a roll then in how the electricity would travel through the body. I just hope it doesn't happen to me!!
Old 15th June 2012, 04:42 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Not all metals are conductors - Titanium is a very inert (unreactive) metal, which is one of the reasons it is so well tolerated in the body as implants.