Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 29th March 2013, 11:15 PM

Default Update on Mondays surgery-chest drains and things

Thanks for all the good wishes.

My daughter was cool as a breeze going to surgery, she kept saying there are people way worse than me in the hospital and indeed when you wander around a childrens hospital it is so true.

Anyway surgery was longer than expected as her spine was very stiff and it was a big correction, 8 hours on table and 3 in recovery. The surgeon was very happy with correction and they noted a small collapse in one lung but believed it would correct itself.

On Wed she went seriously downhill in terms of blood count and oxygen and ended up with a great cardio thoracic team who came in the middle of the night did ct, ultrasound xrays etc. To make long story short she ended up back in theater as her lung had collapsed fully and she had a sizable bleed in lung area !!

She is so much improved its amazing- she is now on facebook (the true barometer of a teenagers recovery) and her oxygen/fbc counts are better. I didn't realise how bad she was until now I see her better. The bad thing is there is a bloody uncomfortable chest drain in and the volume of stuff coming out is too high to let it be removed (another 400 ml in last 24 hours). Her ribs had a huge correction and some had been detached and reattached to spine so that area is very tender.

Anyone have experience of this happening after surgery ? I know some types of surgery require chest drains in on a planned basis but Doc said this is quite unusual so anyone waiting dor surgery the odds a VERY small.

I will report more when we get over this setback as she cant get out walking and is on-hold in her recovery til the lung is sorted.

PS sick of hospital canteen after 5 days but she did win a MASSIVE easter egg in hospital draw yum...
Dublin based mam of three. 15 year old daughter had spinal fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, s shaped (75 degrees) March 2013. 11 year old daughter with mild scoliosis who has recovered from cancer.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:43 AM
Mr Lehovsky's no1 fan

Default Re: Update on Mondays surgery-chest drains and things

Hi,

Glad to hear your daughter got through surgery and is now on the road to recovery.
Sorry to hear there was a scary moment, glad to hear all is ok.
Just out of interest, did your daughter have posterior or anterior or both?

Oh the chest drain!! I hated mine! I had 2stage, I had anterior release and a costoplasty first, then a week later the posterior op. When I finally came to after my first op, the only thing that really bothered me was my chest drain. I spent the week in between my ops laid flat on my back, the discomfort from it was the worse thing ever, I couldn't feel any real pain anywhere else, strangely, despite having had 4discs removed from my spine I wouldn't have known that if they hadn't told me, it was the chest drain and my ribs that caused me the most bother. I really sympathise with your daughter,but honestly it does get better.
I got seriously fed up with the nurses telling me to take deeper bigger breathes, as my oxygen levels were low. I couldn't take deep breathes coz it hurt too much, but they kept pushing me to do it, they said I had to to get my lungs functioning properly again. I knew it made sense but I hated it!! Each morning when they came to bed bath me and change the sheets I was in tears, being rolled and touched was awful, a couple of the nurses caught it a few times, they got a few choice words!!!
Everyone said when they take it out it would hurt. I was told because it would be painful they would take it out during my 2nd op which I was relieved about, but when I woke up after my 2nd op it was still there, I was gutted!! They took it out the following day, by then I had convinced myself it was going to be horrendous, but honestly I didn't feel it. They told me to take a deep breath and they pulled it out, I had to ask if they were done coz I didn't realise it was out, the worst part of it was the guy putting or should I say slapping the dressing on over the wound, he was very heavy handed.
I had 4 ribs broken shaved reshaped, and 2removed, my right side was totally abused!! 2months on, it's still tender, the first couple of times sneezing really hurt, but it is getting easier.

Despite all the discomfort it is worth it.
I won't deny it was tough, but being home now for 2months Im amazed myself at how much I have improved, I never thought when I left hospital I would be feeling as good as I do now. I know I've still got a way to go, but being home and being able to get back to some normality feels great. I keep looking at a picture of my back taken the day I went into hospital to remind me how lucky I am and how far I have come. Despite the pain and aches to look a million times better than I did, in my opinion it's definitely been worth it.

Hope your daughter continues to recover well, she will be back to normal before you know it!

Take care
Kerry x
Old 30th March 2013, 10:40 AM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Glad to hear she's well on the road to recovery I can't comment about the chest drain as I think I only had one draining from the bottom of my back, perhaps because I had posterior only surgery.

Great news about the Easter egg!!
Old 30th March 2013, 01:27 PM

Thanks she is really on mend today and got the chest drainout -yahoo. Consequently they removed all the drips and machinery so everything is on the up. She will be heading for chest x ray soon to confirm all in order.
Dublin based mam of three. 15 year old daughter had spinal fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, s shaped (75 degrees) March 2013. 11 year old daughter with mild scoliosis who has recovered from cancer.
Old 30th March 2013, 04:50 PM
OrangeL

Hiya,

I had a chest drain,had it in for about a week or so I think, I can't really remember! I had two stage op. Which was anterior followed by posterior 12 days later. Glad your daughter is doing well. Any questions just ask,I am now one yr post op!
Old 31st March 2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks a mill, the chest drain is out and shes having ongoing xrays to make sure all in order. She had a posterior 8 hour surgery. The surgeon said up until 7 years ago in Dublin it would have been done in 2 parts and the first stage would involve collapsing the lung.

Her surgeon has placed these small beads at the top and the bottom of the wound- its only him out of the team that do these - any ideas what they are ?
Old 31st March 2013, 05:10 PM
OrangeL

Sorry,I haven't heard of them. I had the anterior and posterior so they removed a rib and deflated a lung :O Sounds crazy hearing it! Sending positive vibes
Old 1st April 2013, 05:56 PM
BlueL

HI, just wanted to say so glad to hear all is over and your daughter is on the road to recovery, sounds like it was quite a scary ordeal, but sounds like it went well today, I know you had an Amazing surgeon so I'm sure when your daughter is well recovered she will be very happy with the correction..........

thinking of you both and sending lots of best wishes

Sandra xxx

Sandra mother to Karen diagnosed with scoliosis at 8 yrs first Spinal Fusion Dec '09 12 yrs, Jun '11 section of rod detached from spine, had to be removed. April '12 had surgery to remove all metal work from her spine due to constant back pain Jan 13 Costoplasty to remove some prominent rib hump.
Old 1st April 2013, 06:29 PM
T Jr :-)

Glad she's improving and sorry, no idea what the beads are x
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:22 AM

The beads are gentamicin beads - they release a slow powerful antibiotic along a thread inside the wound- cool or what ? The Consultant finds they lower risk of wound infection in types of kids.
Hope to make escape soon but a few more X-rays checking lung. She is out walking baby steps. Her scar is beautiful, neat like surgeon just drew a line on her spine ( and so straight compared to before) .