Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 24th January 2012, 08:56 PM
OrangeL

Send a message via MSN to louise_23
Default The Plank

Hello

I was just wondering if this is a good / safe exercise to do post fusion to strengthen core muscles? Does anyone else do this exercise post surgery?

A fitness advisor at the gym recommended it but I still worry about doing damage. The actual exercise feels ok but it's a bit awkward getting up/down to do it!

I did tell him about my surgery and that I needed to strengthen my core and lower back. Just thought I'd see what others did/thought

Thanks
Louise xx
Hiya i'm Louise, i'm 27 & had posterior surgery + costoplasty for an 84degree double curve on 29th July 2010 at RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry. Under the care of Mr Trivedi. I'm now fused T3 to L3.
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/louise.laurie
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/missloobie
My Blog: http://helpformyscoliosis.blogspot.com/
Old 24th January 2012, 09:49 PM
T Jr :-)

Default Re: The Plank

I don't know, but I presume it'd be better than sit ups due to the lack of bending when doing it and so long as you were careful getting up and down I should think it'd be fine!xx
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).
Old 24th January 2012, 10:00 PM
Mod with a rod (or two)

Hi Louise

I am going to start doing circuits next week, the phylosophy i am going to employ is once it starts hurting stop or slow down and then build up, my attitude to it all now is i am not going to let my fusion curtail what i want to do, perhaps this is the wrong attitude but ia m going to let my body tell me when it needs to stop, if it all goes south then at least i can say i tried, i have the running about right now but i, like you also want to strengthen my core muscles and get back some definition, i start next week, i will let you know how i get on lol

Mark's a groovin an a movin
Old 24th January 2012, 10:06 PM
cupcake createor

Send a message via MSN to bronteamy Send a message via Skype™ to bronteamy

I do the plank Louise =)
Old 24th January 2012, 10:08 PM
Duffer

I'm planning on asking my surgeon about this when I go back in feb, been keen to get back to core work. Will let you know what he advises
Old 25th January 2012, 09:28 AM
OrangeL

I would reckon it should be ok since all you are doing is holding yourself still, you aren't twisting or bending or doing anything to strain your back. And I can recommend it as THE best exercise for strengthening your core muscles (and giving you a flat stomach as a beneficial side-effect!)
Old 25th January 2012, 02:30 PM
OrangeL

Is the Plank that yoga position when you start on your hands and knees and then go up into a plank (or dog)?
If so I have been doing Yoga for the last couple of months, it has taken me this long to feel able to take my weight in that way. I started by having a yoga ball under me to take the weight whilst i concentrated on the position and using the inner muscles. (My fusion was 20yrs ago now)
If you can find a yoga teacher who adapts their class to their students then they will help you into different postures that will work the important muscles and strengthen the weaker ones slowly...I have found the breathing and core work excelent - and no one minds that I do my own thing most of the time The key is to have a LOT of blocks, a ball and towels....

p.s. sorry if you were talking about something completely different x
Old 25th January 2012, 08:09 PM
OrangeL

Send a message via MSN to louise_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheski View Post
Is the Plank that yoga position when you start on your hands and knees and then go up into a plank (or dog)?
If so I have been doing Yoga for the last couple of months, it has taken me this long to feel able to take my weight in that way. I started by having a yoga ball under me to take the weight whilst i concentrated on the position and using the inner muscles. (My fusion was 20yrs ago now)
If you can find a yoga teacher who adapts their class to their students then they will help you into different postures that will work the important muscles and strengthen the weaker ones slowly...I have found the breathing and core work excelent - and no one minds that I do my own thing most of the time The key is to have a LOT of blocks, a ball and towels....

p.s. sorry if you were talking about something completely different x
Hello this is the plank: http://tinyurl.com/7xtv2a5

I've been trying to do it on a yoga ball it's quite hard though as the ball wobbles all over the place lol.
Sounds as though it should be ok though, I tend to worry about nothing alot of the time I think it feels a bit weird because I havent really gotten on the floor to do exercises like that since my fusion but I'm sure it will get easier and I'll have abs of steel in no time

ps good attitude Mark, good luck with the circuits!
Hiya i'm Louise, i'm 27 & had posterior surgery + costoplasty for an 84degree double curve on 29th July 2010 at RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry. Under the care of Mr Trivedi. I'm now fused T3 to L3.
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/louise.laurie
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/missloobie
My Blog: http://helpformyscoliosis.blogspot.com/
Old 26th January 2012, 10:55 AM
OrangeL

Very similar - I would definitely have something under me so i could go in and out of the posture easily and do the little and often rather than long and continuous.
Here is to your ABs in no time!
Old 27th January 2012, 12:02 AM
Adult

I am doing it at the moment as part of my core strengthening - but I am so far post fusion that it probably doesn't count Just glad I can still manage it at my age!!

B x
58 years old, juvenile ideopathic scoliosis - thoracic curve with lumbar compensating curve. Fusion (T3/4? - L1) at age 14 with Harrington Rod after 3 years in Milwaukee brace, 1 year's bracing after, then rod removed 8 years after the initial surgery. Reviewed NOC, Oxford by Prof J Fairbank October 2010.
Old 27th January 2012, 03:43 PM
SSO Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Hi Louise

I am going to start doing circuits next week, the phylosophy i am going to employ is once it starts hurting stop or slow down and then build up, my attitude to it all now is i am not going to let my fusion curtail what i want to do, perhaps this is the wrong attitude but ia m going to let my body tell me when it needs to stop, if it all goes south then at least i can say i tried, i have the running about right now but i, like you also want to strengthen my core muscles and get back some definition, i start next week, i will let you know how i get on lol
Thats the mindset! Great outlook!

1 Month Post-op Video: Here
Old 27th January 2012, 04:19 PM
OrangeL

Heres to getting those abs Louise!

I find getting onto the floor really difficult and just as hard getting back up again.

Im doing some stretches every morning and before bed and im sure they are helping.Im also walking more now this pressure has eased a little in the middle of my back-the dogs loving it.

I must admit its shocked me how unfit I feel since this surgery-I think having it done at 44 has been tough on the whole of my body but I intend to get that fitness back.
Thoracic 72 degrees, lumber 30 degrees-fused aged 44, T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty (8 ribs were chopped) on 3/11/10 under the care of Mr Ahmed at North Staffs Hospital. Now nice and straight