Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 30th November 2011, 05:10 PM
Be happy and... Smile!

Default In what cases do your rib/s grow back?

I had first fusion surgery 5 and a bit years ago now, it was left sided anterior T11-L3!

Was wondering, as I had a costoplasty - I've not had my rib grow back so have a stump on the left side close to my back love it when I tell people to touch it ...

What makes the rib grow back as I have heard in cases that they do?!

Thank you, Lyssie x x x
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary..." - Steve Jobs
Old 30th November 2011, 05:16 PM
OrangeD

Default Re: In what cases do your rib/s grow back?

Hiya lyssie having had surgery in 97 it took a good few years to grow back and even now they arent fully grown so like you I've got a slight stump but on my front so the ribs are growing back they are just taking there time lol.

Sorry if that's not much help but just wanted to say im in a similar position xxxx
Old 30th November 2011, 05:26 PM
Tattoed, Crafty & Twisted

Hi Guys,

As I understand it there are 2 main reasons for rib removal in Scoliosis surgery.
1 is when you are operated on Anteriorly and they take a whole rib out for that and 2 is for a Costoplasty where they take a part of several ribs at the back.
With the Anterior Op they remove the whole rib plus the 'sheath' that surrounds the rib therefore stopping it from growing back.
When you have a Costoplasty done they remove the bit of rib that sticks out but sew the 'Sheath' back and leave the two ends 'raw' that way as the bone grows from each end it follows the sheath and eventually the two ends meet in the middle, the new grown rib is never as thick or sturdy as the piece they remove, but it is serviceable and not fragile.
One reason they sometimes give out Post-op Braces is to help the ribs grow back flat after a Costoplasty which is why I am a stickler for people wearing their post-op braces!

This is how it was all explained to me, years ago...
Hope it helps
Liz aka Kat - I will answer to either Diagnosed with AIS at the age of 13. 1st surgery - Mr Ransford @RNOH in 1991, curves = 55T 45L, fused T2 - L2. 2nd surgery - Mr Harrison @RNOH in 2006 - revision of original surgery due to broken rod.
Now have Degenerative Disc Disease above and below my fusion and have recently been diagnosed with HMS and Fibromyalgia and therefore am in a lot of pain daily.
PM me if you want to know more.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:13 PM
OrangeL

I had 8 ribs chopped in half when i had my costoplasty and my surgeon said they grow back eventually. I can feel a few 'stumpy' ones.

I was up and about quite late on due to a painful hip so i was told not to worry about wearing my brace as it was purely for comfort-nothing more.
My ribs are beautifully flat so it didnt affect them at all
Old 30th November 2011, 11:35 PM
RedL

Any injuries to the ribs are very painful,my brother broke 3 ribs during rugby and was on anti inflammotries for a long time (warning not recmommended after spinal fusion!) and he has a definate rib hump in that area now which could resemble scoliosis.If im honest,im not being rude! If you had your surgery nearly 6 years ago,i'd say its all healed up by now! But i couldnt be to sure!
Old 1st December 2011, 10:17 AM
Be happy and... Smile!

Well mine certainly hasn't grown back, believe me

And yes I know what that pain is like as I had my ribs (at the front!) broken for me and reconstructed with mesh put underneath them (due to severe pectus excavatum) and that was after my first fusion. I have hardly any problems now though but my heart isn't in the position it should be, that's all really

Forgot to say thank you for the useful info guys xx
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary..." - Steve Jobs
Old 1st December 2011, 04:56 PM
T Jr :-)

Speaking of ribs, today when people who'd never seen me without blazer and jumper and blouse, they were all feeling the different bits,one pointed out how one side of m ribs feels quite flattened and between two of them there's a big gap O.o
Should I be concerned about this gap between them?
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).
Old 5th December 2011, 07:53 PM
OrangeL

Send a message via MSN to louise_23

I was told they grow back aswell, not sure how long it takes tho!

I had sections of ribs removed for the costoplasty so there are spaces between some of the ribs tis a bit odd hehe.
Hiya i'm Louise, i'm 27 & had posterior surgery + costoplasty for an 84degree double curve on 29th July 2010 at RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry. Under the care of Mr Trivedi. I'm now fused T3 to L3.
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/louise.laurie
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/missloobie
My Blog: http://helpformyscoliosis.blogspot.com/
Old 5th December 2011, 08:30 PM
T Jr :-)

I'd expect that Louise, but I've never had surgery
I'm a bit puzzled why I have gappy ribs on one side :P
I'm Tiff, I'm 17, my consultant's Mr Gibson at RNOH Stanmore and I was diagnosed in November 2011 and I had my spinal fusion October 3rd 2012 and am now fused T2-T11 with amazing correction (60T/40L to 30T/40L).