Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Infantile, Juvenile and Congenital Scoliosis Room

Notices

Old 29th June 2012, 11:50 PM
BlueL

Default Update on Adam

Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't been here for a while....last year was a difficult year as my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in April but deteriorated very quickly, and after a month in hospital had to move to a residential home where, after 2 months he sadly died.

Anyway, I wanted to post an update on Adam's progress. He's now 4 and came out of plaster casts in January 2011. Since then he's been in braces and on 6 month reviews. At both reviews last year, the brace maintained the correction gained by casting.

Happily, we had another review this week and Adam's curve has improved by 7-8 degrees since December...the consultant is "cautiously optimistic" - he said no guarantees but positive and encouraging to see an improvement.

I do have a question though - Adam will start school in September (he's gone to preschool since he was 3 and attended nursery before that) and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to bring to their attention? The only thing I can imagine him having problems with would perhaps be gymnastics in PE (things like a forward roll won't work in a brace I guess!) and occasional help if his trouser waistband gets stuck on his brace after going to the toilet, but maybe those of you with school age children in braces might have had experiences of things I've not thought of? My only real worry is not wanting him to become self conscious about his brace when he's always been so compliant, especially after this weeks news proving wearing it is beneficial for him.

Rachel x
Mum to Adam, age 5 and a half; idiopathic infantile scoliosis diagnosed December 2008, 1st cast November 2009 reducing curve from 44 to 31 degrees. 2nd cast February 2010 reducing to 24 degrees. 3rd Cast May 2010 reducing to 18 degrees (4th cast in July due to pressure sore). 5th cast October 2010 reducing to 14 degrees. Boston Brace fitted January 2011 onwards.
Old 30th June 2012, 10:05 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

Default Re: Update on Adam

I'm lucky enough not to have had to deal with this problem for my kids as it's me who has the scoliosis in my family, but I just wanted to say how pleased I am for you that Adam's curve has remained stable Very sorry to hear about your dad though ...
Old 5th July 2012, 06:21 PM
BlueL

HI, I don't know if I can be of much help to you, my daughter had 2 body braces which she wore when she was between 9-11, actually the second brace she refused to wear. She was older so going to the bathroom for her was ok, but PE and that well more to that, but yes at this age Karen was definitely self concious about the brace, as at that age it was difficult, so to help with this what the school did was to involve her closest friends, so for PE, two of them would have to remove the body brace and then replace it, the friends liked that they were in charge of this, and this helped Karen feel a bit better about it, and then when the other girls seen how it was decorated, they all made a fuss and were interested. Also the school, would have one of these girls in turn collect Karen from the Car (as I was permitted to drive into the school grounds), and carry her bag into school, and at home time drop her back out to me. So this got Karen through some rougn times.

But like I said she was a bit older, your son may well need help, often schools have teachers assistants and maybe this is something you will have to discuss, as he will have certain needs.

Just a thought......

Hope all works out.

best wishes
Sandra xxx

Sandra mother to Karen diagnosed with scoliosis at 8 yrs first Spinal Fusion Dec '09 12 yrs, Jun '11 section of rod detached from spine, had to be removed. April '12 had surgery to remove all metal work from her spine due to constant back pain Jan 13 Costoplasty to remove some prominent rib hump.
Old 5th July 2012, 06:23 PM
BlueL

By the way I meant to say..... SO pleased to hear he got some good correction
that is really good I would be optimistic.......

Sandra mother to Karen diagnosed with scoliosis at 8 yrs first Spinal Fusion Dec '09 12 yrs, Jun '11 section of rod detached from spine, had to be removed. April '12 had surgery to remove all metal work from her spine due to constant back pain Jan 13 Costoplasty to remove some prominent rib hump.