Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 24th April 2011, 09:21 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Hard veins following injections/cannulas?

Hi everyone,

Over the past few days I've had to have repeated injections, blood draws and cannulas in both arms. As a result I seem to have developed an uncomfortable hard lumpy area under the skin on my right arm, and the veins there are still tender. It's bruising up a treat but isn't too bad as yet.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before, and any ideas how to ease it a bit? It's not dreadful, but I'm concerned to get things back to normal before I need more injections!

Thanks

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 24th April 2011, 09:35 PM
Marvellous Moderator

Default Re: Hard veins following injections/cannulas?

Ohh ouchy

I remember having very bruised forearms after having radial cannulas removed - the left one had nice blackish-purple bruising halfway up my arm! It was slightly tender for a couple of days, if memory serves, but nothing like you're experiencing now with 'hardness' of the veins. Have you spoken to a doctor or nurse about this? Given the amount of needles and cannulas you had in there, I would be inclined to get it checked out, just to make sure there's nothing serious going on there.
I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year
Old 24th April 2011, 09:41 PM

I've Googled a bit and apparently it can happen sometimes but should settle down soon.....I hope so. It would be great to hear from anyone else who has experienced this though! Maybe Gilly has heard of it, in her capacity as a blood guru?

Apparently Voltarol gel can help (anti-inflam stuff), which is handy as I just got prescribed a big tube of it. So I'll give that a go
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 24th April 2011, 09:46 PM
Be happy and... Smile!

Hope it settles down soon Toni honey xx
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary..." - Steve Jobs
Old 24th April 2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks Lyssie darling xxx
Old 24th April 2011, 09:51 PM
OrangeL

Ooww and ouch.
After an op or procedure I get lots of bruising, bumps and soreness which takes a while to settle, due I think to having quite thin hands/arms/skin.
But husband has regular cannulas/injections/infusions and he suffers a lot with that type of problem. It has always just about sorted itself before the next lot are due. Last week the nurse advised him to make sure he was well hydrated before any placing of needles etc., as it made it easier to get them in first time and caused less trauma to the area.

I wonder if a cold pack might help? I don't know though, but just a thought.
Another thought is Arnica, that's good for bruising, or you could try the homeopathic 30c strength of it (1 x 4 a day) for bruising and healing, if it's ok with your other meds.

I hope it clears up quickly, bad enough having the needles without lasting reminders.
Hugs, xx
Old 24th April 2011, 10:03 PM

That is very very helpful, thanks Cassie! I've always bruised a lot (an connective tissue thing, lots here will relate) but the hardness is new and quite disconcerting. I don't fancy having needles shoved in there again anytime soon, that's for sure!
Old 25th April 2011, 12:27 PM

Very same thing happened me last year. Mine just faded aftr a couple of weeks. .hope they're ok soon!
Old 25th April 2011, 12:34 PM
I love a CurlyWurly

Location: physically in Aylesbury, mentally on another planet

It is really painful isn't it, I get it almost every time in my right wrist or inside my right elbow. I always ask for ice to help it. The annoying thing is that I always tell the staff that it happens there and ask them to use the left arm or my ankles but they always think they know best.

I hope it eases soon Toni sending you love and hugs
Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Started in 1990 with a harrington rod for thoracic curve, 1995 it was removed as interferring with lumbar curve. In 1999 I had left leg shortened to pull hip down, then in 2000 the metalwork was removed. June 2010 had revision surgery, making the entire fusion t2-l5. Unfortunately in worse pain now than before
Old 25th April 2011, 03:34 PM
SSO Triathlete

I had a similar thing happen after my knee surgery, which I put down to the frankly alarming number of attempts it took to get the damn thing in!

I found that wrapping my wheatbag round my wrist then getting some massage oil and just really moisturising/massaging the area helped ease the solid feeling there was, and then I put some Biofreeze on to help with the pain and rock the "hot/cold" therapy thing.

Might be worth a shot as long as you're sure there's no danger of breaking anything down in there that you shouldn't be?

Hope it settles down soon babe, sounds horrible xX
Old 25th April 2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks tons everyone, it is settling down now I'm so relieved!!! Your messages have been very reassuring, I was quite worried at first as I've had billions of injections/cannulas over my lifetime but this has never happened before.

Toni xx
Old 25th April 2011, 11:16 PM
Admin & Da Police Force!

It sounds like it might be a haematoma Toni, which is basically caused by blood seeping into the surrounding tissue after a badly drawn blood sample. It happened to me once and I actually couldn't get my coat back on because the whole of my arm went so stiff!!
Old 26th April 2011, 04:16 PM
RedL

I had that problem for my last surgery in February.They had great problems finding a vein as mine are apperently small so they turned my arm blue in an attempt and i passed out!
I only had this problem with cannulas though,its called tissuing and it can be quite sore and tender for awhile!
Glad to hear your feeling better!
Old 28th April 2011, 07:17 PM
OrangeL

Send a message via MSN to Liv

Hey Sweetie! Sounds like local superficial phlebitis (= injection site phlebitis) to me and at my hospital we put some Reparil gel on it so it heals faster but I don't know if they have this in the UK.
http://www.docsimon.com/article/reparil-n-gel-100g
It's nothing to worry about though it's not pleasant!
Old 28th April 2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks Liv! It is all cleared up now I will let the hospital know it happened though, in case it happens again. Maybe they have that gel, or something else that can help.