Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 31st March 2011, 04:01 AM

Default Elizabeth Taylor

Just read where Elizabeth Taylor's back problems started before her movie days. She was born with scoliosis. That explains the lung problems she had for so many years. Some day I know there has to be a cure for scoliosis!!
Old 31st March 2011, 09:28 AM
OrangeL

Default Re: Elizabeth Taylor

Yes, I was reading something about this too. Her back problems had always been put down to a fall from a horse when she was in 'National Velvet' but I read an interview where she said her problems started before then because she had scoliosis.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:23 PM
OrangeL

I read what Carol read, but ooooh this is new. She also had PVR surgery on her heart like me. We must have similar medical history! Good on her for keeping going so long x
Old 31st March 2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have read several biographies on Elizabeth Taylor because I was (and always will be) a ginormous fan of hers. But I do wish she had been more vocal about her scoliosis. I have seen a couple of photos from her in her 20's with dresses where the scoliosis is more visable than usual. I really feel that, given her huge star power, she could have helped bring a lot more scoliosis awareness and maybe started a research fund.

Having had several dear friends that have died of AIDS, I will always admire what she did to fund HIV research. I just wish we, in the scoliosis community, could also have had her as an ambassador to our cause. But I guess the reality is that she never wanted to spread herself too thin as she, quite rightly, felt that the fight against AIDS was a race against time.
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:48 AM
BlueL

There is a nude photo of Elizabeth Taylor in todays online Daily Mail taken when she was in her twenties. Unless the photo was taken from a clever angle, her scoliosis is not noticible at all (did airbrushing exist back then).
Seems to me her curve must have been quite small and then continued to get worse as she got older.