Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > Kyphosis, Lordosis and Flatback Room

Notices

Old 5th February 2011, 09:04 PM

Default Questions about kyphosis surgery!

I am 16 and I have an over 80 degree curve. I want surgery, but I am afraid of the risks.. here's a few questions, if you want to anwser : )

is it true that you can get paralized from the surgery?

who much taller do you get after the surgery? I am 5'9.5" so already pretty tall for a girl, and I am afraid i will be too tall..

how much does it cost?

how much time till you are fully recovered? so that you can extresice, run and do everything like normal again

how bad is the pain from 4-10?

was the surgery a good choice/do you regret it?
Old 6th February 2011, 02:57 PM
OrangeD

Default Re: Questions about kyphosis surgery!

Hi there. I am 22 and thinking about surgery myself. I am not a doctor but I have done plenty of research on this and from what I have told I will try to help...

Yes. It is very rare (I have been told it is around .1-1%) but it is a risk with any back operation really..doctors have to tell you this. But there are more complications that can occur as well, such as infection.

who much taller do you get after the surgery? I am 5'9.5" so already pretty tall for a girl, and I am afraid i will be too tall..

This depends and nobody knows. People usually don't care, and the surgeon is focused on reducing the degree of kyphosis. But usually 1-4" is not unheard of..depending on the severity of the curve and where it is located on the spine

how much does it cost?
Depends again.

how much time till you are fully recovered? so that you can extresice, run and do everything like normal again

I was told as soon as I get home I will be 'healthy' enough to walk, play drums, etc but the pain will be intense. After 3 months you usually can start excersizing and go back to normal in 6 months..however it usually takes a year to fully recover.

I've been told from 1-10, the pain is about a 28.

Ill let you know!!!
Old 6th February 2011, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Questions about kyphosis surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDrummer View Post
Hi there. I am 22 and thinking about surgery myself. I am not a doctor but I have done plenty of research on this and from what I have told I will try to help...

Yes. It is very rare (I have been told it is around .1-1%) but it is a risk with any back operation really..doctors have to tell you this. But there are more complications that can occur as well, such as infection.

This depends and nobody knows. People usually don't care, and the surgeon is focused on reducing the degree of kyphosis. But usually 1-4" is not unheard of..depending on the severity of the curve and where it is located on the spine

how much does it cost?
Depends again.

I was told as soon as I get home I will be 'healthy' enough to walk, play drums, etc but the pain will be intense. After 3 months you usually can start excersizing and go back to normal in 6 months..however it usually takes a year to fully recover.

I've been told from 1-10, the pain is about a 28.

Ill let you know!!!
thanks for your anwsers : ) and hope your surgery goes well!