Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 21st January 2011, 07:18 PM
OrangeL

Default Spiritual Healer

Hello everyone. I've been hiding; possibly pretending I don't have Scoliosis!
I saw a Spiritual Healer on Monday(First time. And yes, I will try anything!).
I didn't give any information. She told me that my right hip is a problem for me(correct) and she said that my back is bad. My back is bad because of the lack of emotional support in my life.
Now, I'm not saying that this is wrong or right, but it really has made me think. What a suggestion! It takes some thinking about!
Has it helped? I don't honestly know. I started with pain throughout my body and by the end I felt much more comfortable. That could be though because I had relaxed(?); I don't know.
Old 21st January 2011, 07:30 PM
T Sr: Admin, Big Sister and Da Police!

Default Re: Spiritual Healer

Hi Moira,

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. If seeing this spiritual healer has helped you then I'm glad. I know you're too sensible to suggest that anyone does this rather than see medically qualified doctor, but as a way of bringing yourself some comfort then if it works for you, why not?

Do you think there's any chance that the healer coud have noticed the way you were walking/holding yourself though? I would imagine that sharp eyes could possibly spot scoliosis/painful hips.

Toni xx
37 years old, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 6 months old with curves of 62(T) and 40(L) degrees. Casting and Milwaukee braces until surgery at 10 - ant release/pos fusion T1-T12, halo traction. Post op cast and then TLSO. Further surgery at 18 (ant release/pos fusion extended to L3 to include lumbar curve, costoplasty) and 25 (another costoplasty). Fusion extended to L4 at 33 (XLIF with 4 pedicle screws and two short rods). Pre-op curves: 76(T) and 70(L). Post-op curves: 45(T) and 35(L). Diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aged 34; scoliosis almost certainly due to this rather than being idiopathic.
Old 21st January 2011, 08:39 PM
BlueL

So glad the healing helped you Moira, my friend and i used to go the spiritualist church a few years ago and i got healing there and it seemed to help me as well.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:02 PM
OrangeL

I think if it helps you, then it doesn't matter whether it's the placebo effect or 'real'. However, I used to see a healer on a regular basis, suffice to say it didn't help. A few years after I stopped seeing him he was 'outed' as a charlatan on a tv documentary (I can't for the life of me remember his name, I'll ask my Mum and post again). We did our homework on him and he was highly regarded and recommended!
I'm not saying that I don't believe that there's anything in spiritual healing, I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful and not get their hopes up, as sadly there are cruel people out there who are willing to exploit those in need.

I hope you have a more positive experience than I did!
If you do, you'll have to give me their details!!
Good luck! xx
http://www.facebook.com/Co11ette
Old 24th January 2011, 02:13 PM
OrangeL

I don't think I can say that I feel any different after the treatment.
I was really quite straight and steady last Monday, so I don't think that she would have picked up anything.

Anything(within reason!) that feels like it may help has got to be worth a go, hasn't it? It was 40 for 2 of us(me and Mum) and she was a medium as well. Whatever else, it's fascinating!
Old 26th January 2011, 12:17 PM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Anything(within reason!) that feels like it may help has got to be worth a go, hasn't it? It was 40 for 2 of us(me and Mum) and she was a medium as well. Whatever else, it's fascinating!
Definitely - if you can afford to try these things, its got to be worth a go. Your psychological state plays a big part in the perception of pain, so anything that makes you feel more positive has to be good
Old 26th January 2011, 03:55 PM
Mod with a rod (or two)

Hello Moira

I hope it continues to work and keeps you pain free

Big pat on the back (pardon the pun) to your healer

Mark

Mark's a groovin an a movin
Old 26th January 2011, 07:00 PM
OrangeD

This is the first post (or mentioning anywhere) I have seen about this topic in regard to scoliosis, I've been a little curious so I am glad you brought it up.

It's not that I am doubting that our shared condition may come from genetics, poor posture and other physical reasons. However, I have a strong feeling that our ways of dealing with stress and unresolved emotions can also come into play as well. I wouldn't even say this is a spiritual matter, I think it's from a more common line of thinking. When someone gets stressed there is often a lot of the physical body involved as well- maybe we tighten our shoulders and neck, maybe it's in the stomach or the wringing of hands from worry. Sometimes our nervous system can get locked in that "red alert" phase, even if the problem is gone. I think this has long term affects if these become common practices, conscious or not. So, to me, the healer is suggesting that something is out of balance socially/emotionally, and that wear and tear is affecting your scoliosis. I see nothing "airy-faerie" about this, it makes sense to me!

If she's right, I would say that the healing wouldn't be complete until you address the issue that's causing it. Perhaps you could breach the issue with more approachable friends/family and see if those resolutions remove stress or worry!
Old 27th January 2011, 09:25 AM
OrangeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
This is the first post (or mentioning anywhere) I have seen about this topic in regard to scoliosis, I've been a little curious so I am glad you brought it up.

It's not that I am doubting that our shared condition may come from genetics, poor posture and other physical reasons. However, I have a strong feeling that our ways of dealing with stress and unresolved emotions can also come into play as well. I wouldn't even say this is a spiritual matter, I think it's from a more common line of thinking. When someone gets stressed there is often a lot of the physical body involved as well- maybe we tighten our shoulders and neck, maybe it's in the stomach or the wringing of hands from worry. Sometimes our nervous system can get locked in that "red alert" phase, even if the problem is gone. I think this has long term affects if these become common practices, conscious or not. So, to me, the healer is suggesting that something is out of balance socially/emotionally, and that wear and tear is affecting your scoliosis. I see nothing "airy-faerie" about this, it makes sense to me!

If she's right, I would say that the healing wouldn't be complete until you address the issue that's causing it. Perhaps you could breach the issue with more approachable friends/family and see if those resolutions remove stress or worry!
Absolutely right! I have taken lessons in the Alexander Technique and its all about learning to recognise which muscles you are tensing and learning to 'let go' of all that tension. This release can be an emotional letting go, just as much as a physical one. My physio too is very much into how the emotional state affects the physical state so she tends to treat the whole person (using Chinese and Japanese acupuncture points to treat some of the emotional stuff) rather than just focus on the bits that hurt!

It is absolutely fascinating and makes you realise how complex the human body is....
Old 27th January 2011, 11:56 AM
OrangeL

Thank you for the feedback.
I didn't really know what to think.
I also wondered about 'the lack of emotional support' that she sited as causing the 'bad back' as I don't feel that is an issue now, but when I was 13 my Father died and I was very alone(emotionally) for years. This is the time that the scoliosis started, so it really made me think.
I really struggle to relax though, so that's interesting too!
Old 27th January 2011, 02:31 PM
OrangeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Thank you for the feedback.
I didn't really know what to think.
I also wondered about 'the lack of emotional support' that she sited as causing the 'bad back' as I don't feel that is an issue now, but when I was 13 my Father died and I was very alone(emotionally) for years. This is the time that the scoliosis started, so it really made me think.
I really struggle to relax though, so that's interesting too!
Have you tried meditation? It's a good way to relax, and you can gain a deeper understanding of your emotions and thought patterns. It's enabled me to let go of some unproductive habits.
Old 27th January 2011, 02:34 PM
Marvellous Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Have you tried meditation? It's a good way to relax, and you can gain a deeper understanding of your emotions and thought patterns. It's enabled me to let go of some unproductive habits.
My physio and pain clinic asked me if i'd tried meditation, and I have but found it so very difficult. I simply could not clear my mind, and definitely could not stop the zaps of pain intruding! So I gave up. I have no idea if there's a better way of going about it though!
I'm Sally, 31, and I have congenital kyphoscoliosis in association with Spina Bifida, Diastematomyelia and tethered cord. Surgery to detether spinal cord and remove bone spur at Addenbrooke's in 1984 aged 3. Developed 'pes cavus' and weakness in legs, various foot surgeries between '92 and '94. Decompression of spinal cord, hemivertebrectomy and fusion L2-L4 with instrumentation by Mr Crawford and Mr Laing (neurosurgeon) in 1998 aged 17. Had two stage anterior-posterior T10 to pelvis fusion surgery on 27th February 2012 at NNUH by Mr Crawford and Mr Lutchman. Fused well but now curving over top of fusion, so facing fusion extension up to T1. Trying a brace first in order to put off surgery til next year
Old 27th January 2011, 02:58 PM
OrangeD

It can take a while to get a control of the mind, and even after years of practice I have my periods of "monkey mind" (when the mind uncontrollably hops from one thought to the other). Just being aware of that pattern is a good leap forward in progress, though! It means you're aware, and few people are.

There are numerous techniques, but sitting and trying to not have thoughts is perhaps the hardest. I've found the ones that have a mild activity to them (counting breaths, walking meditation, visualizations) are easier to try. When you have something to focus on, it's easier to not wander off into some unconscious stream of thought. But when you do, and you will, gently return your mind to the task at hand.

I think pain would be a hard thing to overcome, especially at the beginning. Though lying down isn't generally considered the ideal position (as the practice can get too blurred with sleep- especially if it is the same bed you use to sleep), perhaps doing that or some other more comfortable position would be best. I kneel on a large flat cushion and use a "seiza" style bench to stabilize me and keep pressure off my knees, after 20 minutes I can feel a little bit sore but it hasn't been enough to dissuade me.

I recently started the CD set "Breathing: the Master Key To Self Healing" by Dr Andrew Weil. In a nutshell, he's simplified some pranayama (form of yoga about the breath- which is a good idea for us anyway because of how scoliosis can affect the lungs) exercises. They are all short exercises, just a few minutes each, but they have different effects- calming, energizing, increasing the lung capacity, etc). And, you can follow along with him on the CD to help keep you focused. The first cd is just lecture, but he does say a lot about stress and how it's the root of many ailments. I've only been using it a few weeks, but I can say that it has a nice effect and at the very least it takes my mind off things for a little while and it is nice to have a little break from our personal insanity.