Scoliosis Support  

Go Back   Scoliosis Support > Scoliosis > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11th June 2010, 06:45 PM
Zelda Addict

Send a message via MSN to nikarmi
Default Insurance coverage for spinecor.

Hello everyone,

I'm slightly new here so i am unsure if i am posting in the right place. At the moment i'm between a rock and a hard place with my bracing. I just turned Nineteen a few weeks ago and i have been doing physio therapy for the last serveral months to help deal with my back pain. My Gp recomended i try the spinecor brace and refered me to a local chiropractor that works with spinecor (Dr. Brad Gage) . I was informed that the cost of the fitting and bracing would be $3400.00 I have been trying desperately to find some form of insurance that would cover it to a point but have had no success. Is there anyone out there in canada that has found a successful way to have a spinecor brace partially or fully paid for by an insurance company of some discription?

Any answer or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Lauren.
Old 11th June 2010, 08:26 PM
Worried Mom

Default Re: Insurance coverage for spinecor.

Hi Lauren, welcome to the forum. Just a couple of questions for you. Are you an independant adult or still covered on a parent's health insurance? A lot depends on if you have extended health coverage. We are in Ontario and my daughter's brace was covered on my extended coverage. If you have extended coverage you are best to read the policy yourself and see what it covers under orthotics. A lot of times if you just call in to check they say no, but if you are persistant and your policy says it is covered then when you submit the claim they will pay you. Another idea is to ask your chiropractor if they have any knowledge about any policy that would help you out. Lauren, if you have any questions about Spinecor let me know, I would be happy to try to help answer them. My biggest question to you is, are you trying Spinecor for your back pain or are you hoping for something more? Again, any questions fire away. If I can't answer your questions I'm sure that there are many others on this forum who can. Lu
Old 11th June 2010, 08:48 PM
Zelda Addict

Send a message via MSN to nikarmi

Hey Lu,

I'm trying spincor for back pain mostly and to stablize my curve. I'm still currently living with my parents and am covered by their insurance. My mother called our insurance company today to ask if spincecor was covered. We were informed that unless the brace was mostly made of plastic or metal they wouldn't.. this puts us in a bit of a pinch. I want to know if spinecor is really going to help with my back pain or is it another brace i'm going to have to grudgingly suffer through.

Lauren
Old 11th June 2010, 08:59 PM
Worried Mom

Hi again Lauren. i don't know who your parents have their insurance with and what their policy is like. I know that mine is pretty good but I was still pleasantly surprised when they actually covered my daughter's brace in full. I think that there may be some other adults on the forum who wear Spinecor for pain and comfort but at the moment I can't for the life of me remember who. Did you already wear a brace of some sort? That's kind of what I'm picking up from your comments. What kind of curve do you have? I know there are others your age on the forum who probably have more of an idea of what you are going through pain wise. Maybe you can start an I'm new kind of thread and you will get a lot of responses and some really good ideas. Just a thought. Lu